MinnKota Trolling Motor Woes!

• shayla

First off, I don’t want this to turn into a bashing session, I just want to know if many of you have had problems with your MinnKota foot controllers and what’s up? I own a 65 Power Drive and am now going on my 4th. foot controller in three years! This last time the unit decided to just up and take-off at full speed on me….nothing I could do to stop it. In the past it has quit altogether, wouldn’t steer, and would only work if I stomped on it….which I’m sure shortened it’s life! The cost for a new board is $10 less than getting the whole foot controller, so I’ve just been buying new foot controllers, but now I’m wondering if a different model or different brand altogether would be the answer? What do you guys think? Do I just own a “lemon”, should I stick with MinnKota or maybe try a PinPoint? I honestly don’t know anything about them, but will consider anything at this point.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Ever considered the co-pilot? Once I had one I never used the crappy pedal again. I had a couple issues with my pd, but all were fixed under warranty, and by talking nice to minnkota, they have been excelent for customer service. I’ll have to say I heard the most problems comming from the 65#ers though.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I’ve been having issues with my 55lb Powerdrive also. I had a 40lb on my other boat and never had a problem. This one has been nothing but problems. Mine has been with the speed selection. Mine pretty much has 10-8 working and nothing else. I can’t run it slow at all. This is my 3rd footpedal. I was told it can’t get wet…AH IT’S A TROLLING MOTOR! So you should do like I’m gonna do and get a Maxxium.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I beleive James goes through a bunch of pedals. He mentioned it is the way he runs his foot on them.

Truth is, Minnkota PD and autopilots have been having issues for awhile. Just the way it is. The Maxxim is a great motor though.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Get a cable-steered motor (Maxxum). It’s the only way to eliminate the electronic steering issues with those pedals… .

I’m buddies with Mark Presta (FLW Walleye Tour Guy) and he runs Maxxums on his walleye rig. He says the extra work steering is worth the peace of mind knowing his pedal won’t crap out on him.

I’m a bass guy so of course I run Maxxums .

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

I had a PD55 and a maxxum on my old boat for four years with no problems with either. New boat this year. Foot pedal went out on the 65PD auto pilot universal Sonar within a month. Vantage on the back has been in the shop for repair now for the second time. I have owned both trolling motors since April. I am getting extremely frustrated with this!!!!!!

Matt

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I burn through a pedal every other month of so. Not sure how to say this in a constructive way so I’ll just cut to the point. They’re junk. Every unit that goes out on me fails in the same way…. I lose ability to turn left.

Minnkota replaces them no questions asked under warranty and I carry a spare.

The Maxxum’s are reliable motors but just won’t do some of the things that the power drives will do… so I just grin and bare it.

shayla

Thanks everyone! I guess I’ll buy two next time and KEEP THE RECEIPT. I do plan on going cable-drive someday, so hopefully that will solve the trolling motor woes once and for all.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Don’t even get me started on my minnkota 65lb thrust motor. I have went through 2 motors in a month. Right now it is a $600 anchor to me. I had a Motor Guide that was a 42lb thrust and was 10 years old that pushed my boat around better than this new 65lb minnkota. And now the wind is about the only thing that pushes my bass boat around.

LundExplorer

Thanks guys for the heads up. I was considering buying a 65# 24v motor. Now I’ll think twice about it.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I do know from personal experience (2002 Auto Pilot owner) that the pedals are a problem. But I can also tell you from experience that there is nothing better out there. If you decide to by the “other” brand I’m sure you’ll return to Minn Kota following that.

I see buying trolling motors as voting for President…I select the lesser of two evils!!!

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Check out this photo. It is a picture of the top ten guys who fished last year’s FLW Tour Championship (including Flukiger). I know these boats are lent to the guys on the final day, but it goes to show that walleye guys can run Maxxums without the tracking features. I do agree that the Auto/ Co Pilot is a neat deal when there is wind and current around…

Click Here For Picture, Then Expand…

All MK Maxxums…

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Quote:

“Not sure how to say this in a constructive way so I’ll just cut to the point. They’re junk.”

That’s the conclusion I’ve come to also. I’m in the process of installing a hand controlled bow mount.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

As a fishing guide that does his best to put his customers first at all times I simply cannot run a maxxum. When we’re casting shorelines for bass or walleyes the guy at the front of the boat hits nearly all the aggressive fish… and that guy can’t be me. So I run the power drive from the middle position in the boat and customers take turns fishing from the bow…. where the majority of the fish get caught.

Tournament guys don’t have this to deal with so their situation is a little different.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Something I never thought about James. Good Point…

cweber01

I have had a pd 65# for 3 years and I’ve replaced the pedal once. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself…I do carry a replacement ever since the last one went out. It is frustrating.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

If you go through a lot of pedals it’s time to get the Maxxum or use the Copilot. I have had the same pedal on my PD for three years and have no problems with it. I tend to think I’m partly lucky that I got a good pedal, and I also tend to treat it with care. Some guys (certain fishing guides will remain nameless) can be pretty tough on equipment and unfortunately, the PD pedal doesn’t take punishment very well. All those little electrical connections getting kicked around have to go bad at some point I guess. Do like James does and get them replaced while under warranty, or use the copilot. I know guys who have completely discarded the pedal in favor of the copilot. Or, switch to a cable drive motor like the Maxxum. It really depends on your fishing style.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I used my pedal on my PD only a few times. The wireless co pilot is the ticket. I fish from the back of the boat and guests fish in the front. Just my two cents.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I go through a pedal or two a year as well. I went with the corded co-pilot this year, and loved it. Cable drives did me no good fishing wing dams in the past. When you jump up to net someone’s fish, you can be in big trouble. Something bass guys may not have to worry about.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Quote:

Something bass guys may not have to worry about.

Yeah, because bass guys don’t fish wingdams…

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I am going to just toss this out here and maybe someone can help me out! I have a 40# pd kota for my new boat and it seems to go through the battery pretty fast. I am usually fishing in calm water and usually in the open spots and casting into the slop. very seldom do I just ram into the slop and try to wedge through it. I know i don’t have a big enough motor for that type of fishing. I just don’t know if I am getting the battery fully charged all of the time or if I am just going through the battery that fast. I check the volt meter on the trolling motor and it reads 4 lights, I am usually hooking the battery charger up to it the day before I head out, it is usually charging for awhile at 6 amps then i turn it down to 2 for a few hours more. but then when I get out on the water, only 3 light bars light up and when I unpluged the charger and checked the lights, I had 4. any help would mostly be appreciated, or would this something that a on board charger would take care of?

shane

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Running a motor too small will draw down your battery faster, due to having to run it at higher speeds. Check to make sure your connections are clean, but is sounds like a battery issue. Stop by your local auto parts store or repair shop and have them do a load test on the battery. The load test will show if your batteries power drops off drastically under draw. It is fairly common for worn batteries to show voltages in the correct zone(the power gauge reads only voltage), but they don’t have any power under draw due to decay/wear.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well considering that the boat is only about 2 months old. them batteries should be fine. I will have to get them load tested and find out what they tell me. thanks!!

shane

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.