Minn Kota quick release bracket

• doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Hi-
    First off I want to say this is a great site with tons of great info. I have been a lurker for a while now, but have decided to finally step out of the shadows

I just purchased a used boat (my first ) and need to upgrade the trolling motor. I am trying to figure out exactly what I want/need. My questions are: Does a person really need the quick release bracket? Pros-Cons.

And, the boat has a 12 volt ‘outlet’ in the bow, can I convert this to 24 volt so I can get a bigger trolling motor?

Thanks for all the great info you provide!
    Hopefully I will be able to add something to the site.

doubleshot

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

First off, Welcome aboard.

About your questions. I have quick release simply because my tarp won’t fit the boat with trolling motor on. Drives me nuts, but it’s what I’ve got for now. If they motor is bolted on permanently you should have to worry about theft, but you never know how persistent those low life will get.

As for the 12v conversion. I would run to Gander an pickup a new receptacle. It has the same form factor most likely so a couple screws and you’ve got it replaced pretty cheap.

Again, Welcome!!

adloos
    Winona, MN

The quick release is nice, but is a little loud with the clanking when pulling the trolling motor up and down. Maybe this is just mine, but at least thats what mine does.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I also have the QR mount on my boat because I want to be able to remove and also have to remove it to tarp the boat. I have the cheaper, older style and it works great. I don’t have the noise problem that Andy mentioned.

To use a 24 volt motor, you will need to set up 2 batteries instead of one, and connect them in a series to make 24 volts.

brunn
    Andover, MN

Definitely get the quick release bracket. I had a boat stolen and the trolling motor was bolted to the bow. They literally ripped the bolts through the top of the bow (alot of work for an older 765MXT if you ask me). Nowadays, my trolling motor is locked away when the boat is parked.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Thanks for the info and opinions guys!
    I’ll have to look into the cover issue, sounds like the QR is a good idea overall.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Not a lurker anymore

I think that the quick release is a good idea, makes getting a boat cover alot easier. Also its nice to remove when just crusing around the lake. As for the theft, I think that if they want it they will get it no matter where it is.

Ron

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome. Great to have you with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want. I also have the quick release and like it. I have my trolling motor paddlelocked to the mount.
    Thanks, Bill

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I have the new square puck style composite bracket. There are no sharp edges when the motor is removed. You can put a small lock on it if you dock it and get something to eat, but would suggest removing it if its parked outside at night.

LundExplorer

Does the bracket hold up to trailering? Or, will I have to remove the motor before hitting the road?

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

LundExplorer- that’s a great question I didn’t consider. Looking forward to any responses.

In spending $600+ I’d like to get the right one the first time and remove most of the worries. I did test out the boat cover I got w/boat and it covers the trolling motor, so that would resolve that potential issue to not having a QR bracket.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Does the bracket hold up to trailering? Or, will I have to remove the motor before hitting the road?

I rarely take mine off unless I put the cover on and when I’m fishing on an over nighter and the boat stays outside. It will be fine for trailering.

LundExplorer

Thanks!

I have a cover that has a pocket sewn into it to cover the bow mount motor. I would like to have a quick release bracket to be able to take off the motor when we go joy riding so its not in the kids way up front.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.