Cuts in a transducer cable — Fixable?

• hans1159
    Champlin, MN

I just purchased a used transducer cable and it is split open for about an inch where it will be below the waterline. I think I can only see one of the conductors. Is there a way to fix this?

– Craig

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I can’t answer the fixable question, but this wouldn’t be the same transducer that was in a “girlfriend’s trunk” would it?
    I hope you weren’t patiently waiting for damaged goods.

Dandorn

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I had one I tried to fix once with silicone. It sealed it up but the unit would not work properly. It picked up interferance all the time and only worked sometime. I never thought to wrap it with foil and then seal it. Maybe that will work. Can’t hurt to try.

hans1159
    Champlin, MN

The foil is an interesting idea. Now that you mention that, I can’t believe the cable isn’t shielded to start with like coax or the VHF antenna wire. ?? There is the outer black jacket and two inner conductors with their own jacket.

It seems like their should be some easy rules that marine electronic makers give out (but that would be too easy). Some I have wondered about are ground batteries to aluminum boat to have common ground with water? This would allow a very unified ground vs. the relative grounds that exist when you start moving lots of current around (like with trolling motors) with dedicated return ground wires.

P.S. It is the transducer that I waited a month to get.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I have damaged transducer cables a few times with my trolling motor prop. Each time I just wrapped it with electrical tape and it worked fine.

If the cable is damaged too badly where the wires are completely broken inside and there is no connection, the tape will obviously not work. If you cut the cable and re-splice it(last resort only).. it MAY work, but I wouldnt expect it to work as well as it should.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I goofed around once trying to fix a cable…just buy a new one and get it over with. It sucks spending the money but your time trying to fix it, and time the unit doesn’t work properly is worth it…trust me.

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

“liquid” electrcal tape

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I have also used liquid electrical tape. It’s been 3 years and still works fine.

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

I sliced my cable completely in two, with the help of my Minn Kota. I spliced the middle wires together and taped them. I then spliced the outer wires together and taped them. I have used it for months without any interference or problems.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.