Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum Prop Question

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’m trying to decide whether I should get a stainless steel or aluminum prop for a 115 hp four stroke that will go on a Lund Explorer 1700. The boat is rated for a 125 hp motor.

I’ve heard some people say the aluminum prop will help protect the lower unit in the event that you smack it into rocks but I think others have said that the rubber hub in the prop will protect the lower unit anyways so it doesn’t really matter.

The stainless steel prop will cost an extra $300 but if it will provide better performance without a significant increase in risk to the lower unit, I might buy it. Also, how big of performance increase should I expect from the stainless prop?

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Boone

KirtH
    Lakeville

I good SS prop makes alot of differnce in performance, I have heard the same thing about lower unit damage.

If you drive without any regard to depth I would say no, But a SS does resist small dings better than Aluminum

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Boone, I would always go SS given the opportunity. Aluminum tends to flex, and over a period of time will degrade performance-wise. SS retains its form, and does not flex. It will provide you years of reliable performance.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

SS is the only way to go

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Stainless steel for this guy. I used to run aluminum props and had them in the shop CONSTANTLY for dings and bent blades caused by impacts with small branches and other floating crud that a SS prop chews up without damage.

As far as for lower unit damage caused by a prop VS. log, etc., etc. impact… I’ve NEVER seen or heard of one. Any time I’ve ever heard of a lower unit being damaged by impact it was a direct hit to the lower unit itself that caused the damage and not some hit that was transfered from the prop to the gears.

I have heard of a good number of “spun hubs” following a prop strike when there was no lower unit damage… so the rubber pressed in hubs that bind the blades of a prop to the splined shaft inside the prop must work pretty well.

rmartin
    United States

Cjeck out iboats.com. Earlier this year I bought a SS prop new for around $150.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I would also go SS anytime you can. There is a lot of unfounded fears about hitting things SS props and destroying lower units. That is not the case as James stated above. I have hit things pretty hard on occassion with my SS props over the years and have never had a lower unit damaged. It sure beats having to constantly buy new or repair aluminum props.

Ripley

You can check on ebay. I picked up a stainless for 80$, it was like new.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Stainless it will be! I also used the “search” function and past posts were also strongly in favor of stainless.
    (Great website feature James!)

Thanks again for everyones input. There’s really a lot of things to decide when you buy a new boat. My next question will probably be related to the electronics. I’m just starting to thing about that equipment.

Boone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.