TUFFY boats?

• KirtH
    Lakeville

Any one here ever been in a TUFFY boat?

You dont see alot but they look interesting. Any feedback would be great.

GNFISN

Prety pricey for what you get in a set up ( got my Ranger cheaper, and with better acces. than the Esox Mag. I was looking at!) Craftsmanship is iffy too. I know of some long time guides going to Ranger from years of Tuffy here in Wis. The younger guides seem to be really pushing Tuffy – I heard rumors of mgmt. issues at Tuffy (Fiberdome) at one point. — Not a bad layout though.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Buddy of mine has the Tuffy 1990 Osprey tiller.

Driest, smoothest ride I’ve ever been in. A few years back, we were at Waubay in the fall. With 3′ rollers, we hit them at a cross-angle……..Never got one drop of water splashed on me. Also, not one jar-bump either from the waves. The other boat out there was a bigger lund who had sore backs and were SOAKING wet……silly soaking wet that took the same trip………

I’ve been in quite a few glass boats……..also in the same weather conditions……But this boat kept me dry……where others I’ve gotten wet.

Lay out is nice on this rig. two live wells, built in cooler, LARGE deck with 2 pedestal seat bases.

The only complaint I’ve heard and witnessed is that this 20′ model “see-saws” in large rollers. Meaning while we were backtrolling 3-4 foot rollers, the kicker and main motor would pop out of the water, where other boats it was not as severe.

Also, the price was right on this purchase……..very reasonable and at a local Redwing Dealership.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I had a Tuffy Esox for 5 years It was a very well built trouble free boat. I sold when my interest changed from muskies to more walleye fishing on large lakes like Mille Lacs etc. ITs layout was not suited to walleye fishing. I got a better deal on an aluminum boat instead of another Tuffy. Don’t you hate budgets. When its time to get a new boat I will always check with Tuffy as I was satisfied with the Esox and like the layout of the Osprey series.

Mwal

wkw

I’ve had 3 Tuffy boats and I have loved every one of them!
    I currently have an ’05 2060 Osprey w/a 250 Mercury Verado
    on it. This boat is fast, dry, and easier to fish out of than other ‘glas boats I have been in.
    WKW

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I have a Tuffy and the guys that ride in it say its alot smoother then other boats they’ve ridden in. I like it alot and will more then likely buy another one

KirtH
    Lakeville

I am looking at the 1890

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

My dad has a 1760 tiller and it has been a great boat! ZERO COMPLAINTS!!

West End Sports in Red Wing swicthed dealers and now carries triton instead of tuffy.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

My dad has a 1760 tiller and it has been a great boat! ZERO COMPLAINTS!!

West End Sports in Red Wing swicthed dealers and now carries triton instead of tuffy.

Nope they still carry them, Been talking to Greg

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I was down there last week and there were zero of them there. They said they switched to triton, they must still be able to order the tuffy..or I need glasses
    All the tritons there were aluminum pretty nice looking boat though.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

2 friends of mine run tuffy’s, one is a 2004 1990 essox deep-v w/200hpdi. the other is a new 2006 2060 tiller w/150 4 stroke yamaha. both boats are top of the line, they have good storage, are laid out well, and have a ride that is second to none. they ride better than any glass boat on the water today. i have been in these boats on big water, mille lacs lake, and they are dry also. i had a chance to pete maina’s 2004 1990 essox deep-v. for the price, it was the best deal out there. my wife didn’t like the width of the gunwales. we ended up with a lund 2025 pro-v because of the width of the gunwales. if i had it to do over, i would be in the tuffy………tom fellegy

KirtH
    Lakeville

Well I am going to go look at one this week if the dealer gets one in, well see how it looks

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I haven’t been in the 1890, but I’ve heard good things from a friend who has had his since late last year. Thumbs way up, from what I hear, and a big improvement over their previous deep-v models. The 1890 has a really wide hull, and I’m told it’s not quite as smooth in big waves as some other glass boats, but is still very dry. The wide hull makes up for it by being very stable and quick to plane out. Again, this is not a first-hand experience but I figured I’d offer what I heard given the small number of people who have been in the 1890.

John

KirtH
    Lakeville

Saw one today at West End

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

A new one or used?

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

A new one or used?

new 1890

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

Nice boat!

Full windshield?

yep

gregmerz
    Minnetonka & Remer, MN

come on… lose the training wheel…

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

come on… lose the training wheel…

Can I keep my nook

DanH

Wow. Tuffy boats have come a long way since my father had a 1982 17′ Rampage. That boat was decent for its day, but too much hull flex for my liking. The new models look great.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

In the mid-80’s we affectionately referred to the Tuffy line as Fluffy. Oahe was very hard on these boats when they first arrived in SD. However, I’m sure like all products they have evolved or they wouldn’t still be on the market. How is the pricing compared to Ranger, Warrior etc..

KirtH
    Lakeville

Well thanks for all the help

I have my current boat sold, so with that I talked to greg at West Side.

I am going to order a 1890 Walk Thru, unless the test ride goes south, I will cruising in a 1890

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.