Suzuki 115 or Yamaha 115 for Lund Explorer 1700?

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’m considering purchasing a new Lund Explorer 1700 SS and am debating between the Suzuki 115 four stroke or Yamaha 115 four stroke. I’ve heard great things about both but am having a hard time deciding which I should try to find. Finding one with a Suzuki seems like it might be harder than finding one with a Yamaha but I’ve just starting looking. I know Yamahas are nice but those Suzukis (or Johnson four strokes) sure seem really nice when they come by. I plan to put on the Yamaha T8 kicker so the Yamaha would be color coordinated.

Also, does anybody have any good leads on a good dealer that would have such a rig? I checked into Nelson in White Bear Lake but they didn’t have any. Hannay’s had one but it had the vinyl floor and I want a carpeted floor. I’d go with a used rig but I’ve been looking for a while and haven’t seen any listed anywhere.

It’s my understanding that all the 2006 Lund Explorer 1700s come pre rigged with Mercury controls but some dealers will swap them out if you want another brand of motor.

Thanks for the help,

Boone

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

First and foremost, is there going to be a price difference? I would think that to get the Suzuki, there would be a price premium on that. Also, I think it is going to be harder to get the Suzuki as fewer dealers have it. Finally, if u are going to get a T8, then, I would encourage you to just stick to the Yammy. It really does not look that good to have a black and blue on the transom. The only good thing I can say about a Suzuki rig is that a black Suzuki would look real good on a black Lund explorer!!! If u really wanted a black kicker to match, then go get the merc kicker and perhaps change some decals on it
    I have not mentioned about performance issues as I think they are both very good motors and reliable. Perhaps, the Suzuki may be even marginally better. That is just my impression.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Boone, I just bought a 1700 Lund Explorer from Erickson Marine that originally came with a 90 hp Merc. They swapped for a 115 Yamaha for no rigging charge. If you want to see it, come on over. I see we are neighbors.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Boone, both are great motors. You cannot go wrong with either. But shops that will work on Yamahas are everywhere! You may have an issue finding a certified Suzuki dealer in the heat of the moment when something goes wrong, not to mention how long you may have to wait for service because there are not that many dealers out there.

BobJohnston

I would go suzuki hands down. I have owned both and the suzuki walks all over yamaha performance wise. Hole shot and top end are excellent and I have had my suzuki DF 225 hp for two and half years and its never been in the shop and the last time I checked it had well over 2500 hours on her and she never misses a heart beat. just my two cents

Todd_NE

I’m curious, how do you get 2500 hours on a 225 in a few years? My saltwater captain/guide buddies don’t get close to that.

Todd

BobJohnston

How do you get 2500 hours? Well I fish over a 100 days out of the year. Boats in the water more then its out. I dont have a kicker on right now and i use my main for trolling

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I’m curious, how do you get 2500 hours on a 225 in a few years? My saltwater captain/guide buddies don’t get close to that.

Todd

I thought the same thing, and even got my calculator out. In an 8 hour day fishing, it would be 312.5 fishing days.
    If you say so…
    At any rate, these two motors are very comparable in performance. You will get some people who will tell you it is the best one running. In the end, if you get a chance, drive them both. I too have had both. They are good motors. Very dependable. Like I said, the trade off would be in service. If you lunch a prop or lower unit on a rock, you may wait a little longer for parts and service is all.
    Tuck

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Thanks everyone for the information. This is a tough decision. I plan to have the boat for a long time and hope to use it a lot. The rig is going to cost over $20K so an extra $1000 for a particular brand of motor is not a big deal. I’ll also check into a non-current Johnson 115 four stroke.

Putz… I sent you a PM.

Thanks Again,

Boone

KirtH
    Lakeville

I have a Yamaha F115 on Mr Pike 17 it runs great, I think there is more of dealer network for Yamaha.

I have heard that the Suzuki is a little stronger, it is geared different.

Merc is coming out with a NEW 115 4 stroke it is on there web site.

The old Merc 115 is a Yamy powerhead and a merc bottom end.

Erischon Marine in Hastings might be worth checking out.

Get a good SS prop makes alot of differnce on these boats.

Also dont skimp on the trailer

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

The new Merc is called the walleye motor. It is based on the verado block but it’s not aspirated, super charged. They have a large cu inch for power. The only thing new is the power head, from the adapter plate down its the same motor as the older one.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Why do they call it the walleye motor?

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I own a Suzuki 140 and it’s been a great motor. Yammy’s 115 is also a nice motor. My next motor will be an E-TEC. I’ve driven and ridden many E-TEC’s now from 115’s to 225’s and they are a great motor. No winterization, no maintenance for three years, very fuel efficient and they cruise. My $.02.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.