Using a Merc Pro Kicker as Main Outboard?

• HenryPF

I have a 9.9 merc pro kicker and would like to use it as a main drive on a 14ft row boat. Any problems with this?

Could I just change the prop out or is the gearcase so low that I am kidding myself?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Henry, I woudln’t if I had the choice. THe Pro Kcikcer besides the power prop is geared for one thing and one thing only…. POWER. You will not like the top end you get. That motor is the best on the market for using as a kicker, but would not perform for what you need it for. You could sell it and probably get enough money to buy a used or perhaps new 15 HP Fourstroke, if thats in your cards. I think you would be unhappy with your top end speed with the Pro Kicker on the 14′. Just my opinion!

HenryPF

Thanks lip ripper, I actually wound up keeping it as I paid cheaper for the pro kicker than a normal 9.9 price.

As this was for my boss who doesn’t care for speed, I think I am just going to swap out the prop. The fact he is only going to use the boat probably (and a shame too) less than a 4 times a year I don’t think he will notice he not going 25mph.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

That motor is the best on the market for using as a kicker

That’s debatable

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.