trolling motor issues

• crailt

ok – rookie again with more issues – please advise what your next steps would be. the following is my story

bought used boat set up for fishing – fish finder and trolling motor. seller had said on the minn kota trolling motor – foot pedal went out and he was using a co-pilot to operate (which it did fine when I test drove)
    he didn’t throw in the copilot – so i went out and purchased one –
    1st time on lake worked okay / then next time nothing so I exchnged the copilot @ gander (most likely user error – battery was dead.
    2nd Copilot hooked up and charged battery -beeped fine and turn left/right but prop would not start. Customer Service Minn Kota advised getting another one, was probably receiver issues.
    3rd Copilot (exchnged @ Gander / Woodbury – ran Lakeville out of them) the manager was more than accomodating and also added – he had something like 3 in 10 returned and would suggest if this one did not work to go to some other setup (footpedal i guess) Well guess what hooked it up – had the “beeps” i was looking for – pressed the buttons for left/right turn and then prop and it died nothing more – checked the trolling motor charge and it was fine…
    So you can see my frustration and just want to fish…..should i try again, or take to some dealer or something to have thorough check of motor and hookup, or go to the footpedal?

i got the sense from the Minn Kota person this isn’t and wasn’t a abnormal occurrence

let me all know what you think – you’ve always been so helpfull!!

shaley
    Milford IA

Check out fishelectronis in the cities I got a new pedel from them this spring for my power drive cost was $68 off e bay, new with 90 day warrenty. their stores on University in Columbia Heights

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’m not totally convinced your having problems with the co-pilot though, any one got a pedal you can borrow? sounds like something may kind of be up with the trolling motor itself.

We’ll I don’t think I can help you much, but I’d reccomend getting yourself a pedal anyways, the thing I’ve found with my co-pilot is that the speed settings are sometimes not fine enough for me to hold a spot or speed I like to at times, sometimes you want to be in between the those speeds that the co pilot gives you, atleast in my case.

I’ve had my co pilot for about 3 years now, never had a problem, and I use it all the time. In fact I just learned the remotes are pretty tough too, seeing that the wife just sent one through the wash , and it still works perfect.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Not sure where you live, but I’ve used these guys before with great luck. They turned it around alot faster than they promised. They are located in Bloomington, MN.

http://www.motorclinic.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.