Trolling motor problems

• Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Hey everybody, I was out fishing about a week ago and my trolling motor would be running fine and then all of a sudden it would just stop and then four or five second later it would go on full speed for a couple seconds and stop again. Well the last three times it has gotten continually worse to the point where I couldn’ even fish. Anyways I checked my battery connections, there are two new batteries(this year) in there, and I can’t seem to figure our my problem. Do you think it is bad batteries or a short in my wires somewhere? Any other suggestions or do you think my trolling motor has just had it. It is a fairly old motorguide 41lb thrust. It is just weird cause it will run full power and then totally lose power and come back intermittenly.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

It sounds like a bad connection somewhere. i would first look at were the wires connect to the battery. if those are good look at the connection between the trolling motor wires and the wires that go back to the battery if not there check inside the head of the trolling motor and make sure all of those wires and connections are good. if none of that solves the problem you might be looking at a bad motor.
    hope this helps

Eric

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Alright guys I went out again today cause I played with it at home and I could run it for hours no problem. Got out to the water today and after 5 minutes it was broke again. It runs fine for 15 seconds or so then it stops and I wait 30 seconds or so and it will go for another 15 seconds and stop. When it goes it has full power and then it stops dead. I have no idea. All wires look good and the batteries are brand new. Any other ideas cause I am about to snap and break out the credit card to get a new one cause I am missing some good fishing.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

sounds like a breaker that is heating up and breaking the contact. if that is the case then your motor is drawing to many amps with a load. I would check to see if you have a breaker on it.

Good luck

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

I had a 40amp breaker from the dealer. It did the same thing. Perhaps it was a bad 40amp dealer. In any case, I changed to a 50amp breaker and all was fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.