VHF Marine Radio

• GrouseHead

I’m looking to buy a compact gimbal mount VHF marine radio. Anyone have any suggestions on ones to avoid or get?

Thanks

scottsteil
    Central MN

The new Lowrance radios are having issues right now, I would avoid those. Raymarine or just about anyone will do the job, but make sure it is waterproof not weatherproof. Usually the good ones come with a submersible rating. Also, when you install it, make sure it is wired directly to the battery. If it is not, you will find it will blow fuses in anything that is on the same panel as it. Just a suggestion.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Why mount ? I have a hand-held and love it. Can keep in touch while in the cabin, with whats happening on the lake.

big g

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just a note, I bought a hand held Garmin. Just didn’t have the range I was looking for so I thought I would sell it and go with a mounted radio with the 8′ foot antenna…which I did and love it. I found that having the hand held unit in my house allowed the favorite wife to talk with me while in range and while out of range she could just listen to us guys yacking….

Up on Winni, we would leave the hand held in the cabin and it was nice to let her know when to start frying fish…

Point is it’s nice to have a hand held too.

Catten Addict bought one of these… >click here<

and I’ve used it while fishing. Easy, simple to use…with no frills..but the extra features “I” like to use…and a great value for the price.

brent07
    Preston, MN

Scott,
    Do you know what the problem is with the Lowrance units? I just bought one and have only used it a handful of times this year. No problems yet but….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I heard about sometype of problem…but know three people that just installed them and no issues…

Was it just a certain model Scott?

DasBoot3
    St Peter MN

We just installed a Standard Horizon Quest from Jolly Ann Marine in my brothers Alumacraft. It is a really fine unit and is waterproof to boot. His wife ordered it for him for X-mas (fine woman there!) as a package deal with antenna and mount included. IMO this is THE way to go. It had everything but the soldering iron included. A board sponsor,free shipping, great prices.

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

Uniden makes a real nice radio for under $200 with an 8 foot antannae.

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

The Lowrance LVR-850 model that Wade has for sale at Jolly Ann has been great for me so far this year. I think the price is around $100.00, and you cannot beat the buying experience you get dealing with Wade.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Scott, I haven’t had returns on the Lowrance units. What problems have you heard?

Standard Horizons and ICOMs are probably the top VHF radios. Rays are good too.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

what are the options for a portable unit??????

Thanks Pier.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

what are the options for a portable unit??????

Thanks Pier.

eyedog

big g what type of handheld, and how was the range?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

big g what type of handheld, and how was the range?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m thinking with a hand held Big G can’t hear you…

Sorry Big G…sounded funny this morning…

My Garmin (handheld) has all the features that as the Standard Horizion does.

Weather Alert
    Programable scanning
    25/1 Watt

If I’m on Winni in the middle of the lake, I can get just over a mile to another boat with an 8 foot ant. I’ve talked 4 miles to base stations. This is ideal conditions…

These radio are line of sight…meaning the radio waves don’t bend around the earth to another reciever…if a base station ant is higher…the range will be better. Trees, building ect effect the range.
    When I’m on the Croix, I can talk with my wife at home for a very limited range…Just South of Hudson to just South of Afton…with some dead spots…we’re talking 1 mile or less. I can hear boats much further away…but they can’t hear me.

The one piece that I should mention is after all was said and done…I had $300. into the handheld.
    Talking with 25 watts will chew throught AA batteries faster than bunny’s can make babies.
    Two rechargable battery packs wasn’t cheap…don’t recall the price…I’m sure prices have come down a bit too.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Never seen a 25 watt hand held. Sure it’s not a 5 watt radio?

Anyway, my Humminbird works pretty good on Mille Lacs. I can get up to 6 miles to a radio with a 8 foot antenna. I bought the cigarette lighter adapter. They do chew through the batteries.

-J.

big_g
    Isle, MN

PierBridge, I have a Humminbird VHF5. I know mine travels from my lot in the woods, up to Malmo for sure. About 5-6 miles, through trees. Click link below. I’m still on my first set of batteries, used it ALL of opener.

big g Humminbird VHF5

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, same radio. The rechargable battery that came with mine only lasted one season, then would not hold a charge. Overall, I’m happy with the radio. It’s held up well over the last 5 seasons.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good catch Jon…5/1 watt it is…

…I wonder if it’s because I talk a lot that I can bearly get a day out of mine

Just recieving they will last a very long time.

big_g
    Isle, MN

In fact, I heard Kooty & Matt talking to Tuck on the opener, and they were at Indian Point, about 8 miles across the water, then 2 minutes later, they were in front of the A Frame up the east side by Malmo. Really good reception, and one heckuva fast boat !!!

big g

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.