Skimmer Transducer problem

• cweber01

I seem to be having some problems with the mounting of my the transducer on my new lms 334. I have tinkered with it a little, but can’t seem to get it working right. When the boat is on plane, the bottom reading is very light, and sometimes it loses it completely. It also seems to be sending off a lot more spay behind the boat than my old one did, and I also think that it’s affecting the way the boat rides. It seems to be makeing the boat porpus. I never had that problem before, and the new transducer is the only thing that has changed. Can something that small affect how the boat rides? HELP!!!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

You might have it down to far. You want the bottom of the ducer to be almost flush with the bottom of the boat. Can you post a pic of your current install?

cweber01

I think you might be right…I can’t really post a picture, but I have the middle of the ducer flush with the bottom of the boat.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

You want just the bottom of the ducer flush with the boat. You want it to “skim” the water. If your getting a roster tail from it, its down too far.

cweber01

great. I will move it up. I should also be parrell to the ground/bottom too right?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Yes, and make sure its angled properly. You don’t want it angled with the slant of the bottom of the transom. You want it to be straight from left to right. Also compensate for any weight you have in the back of the boat. Hand tighten the bolt, then when on the water, move it up or down until you get a good reading. Then tighten the bolt.

cweber01

you mean that since the boat doesn’t ride completely flat that you need to adjust for that…good point. Hopefully I will get it right before the crappie contest!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Yes, and meaning since the back of the boat is shaped like a V, you dont want the transducer mounting bracket on that V line. You basically want the bottom of ducer to be 100% aiming at the bottom of the lake. A few degrees to the left,right, up or down too much can make a big difference.

jldii

cweb,

You do want to have your transducer angled ever so slightly forward. Reason being that when running WOT you want to have the signal sent so that when it bounces back up from the bottom it comes up where your boat will be, not where it was when it sent the “ping” down. Kind of like leading a bird when you are hunting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.