The “Best” and the “Best Value” TM Batteries?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I have a 24 volt system and the 2 batts. that I got from Wallmart are 2 years old and not holing the charge as long as they should.
    Any thoughts on the Best batteries to buy and also the
    Best Value of batteries to buy?
    They may be one in the same but they may not.
    Thanks

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I’ve had good results with Interstate but even better with Trojan.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Bob and I have been running Trojans for about 3 years now, very happy with power and durability. They were originally designed for forklifts, so you got to believe they hold up. I run three of the 210 deep cycles in my boat, I think it is the 210, its the biggest one they make for marine applications, and can go about 4 days on the TM all day without totally killing them. 65# PD.

Crankbait

I guess for myself I’m still using the WalMart batteries and am on my third or fourth season with them and no problems. Not saying this applies or not but I think having a good charger that doesn’t boil the crap out of your batteries is just as important as the brand of battery itself. I used to go through batteries like crazy until I got a decent charger. Mines a Dual Pro three bank. Not sure, but I thought I read somewhere that WalMart batteries are actually made by Interstate or some other well known company.
    Chris

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Another vote for Trojan

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I got 4 full seasons on my last set of Wall-Mart batts and am on my 2nd year with current set. No reason to believe I won’t get 4 full seasons out of them.

-J.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Walmart Everstart Batteries.
    I got 4 years out of my last set.
    There is a reason that in 2002 Genmar boats made them there OEM batteries.
    Get the freshest ones that you can find, look for the manufacturing date on the batteries.
    The other reason I like them is that IF I ever have a problem with them, I can always find a Walmart close by.

Ron

bradg

If you are going to get the same thing from wal-mart, they should have some warranty left on them at 2 years old, maybe only 20 bucks or something on each, but it wouldn’t cost you as much to replace

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

Interstate is what I have used on the last two boats.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I just checked my batteries. I bought them 2-19-02. One is showing no signs of weakness and one is. They are both Everstart from Wally World. Been good batteries. The one I am replacing is not going to be from Wally though. I found the same battery for cheaper with a longer warranty. Go to your local Auto Value (Formerly Bumper to Bumper) and ask for their Parts Master Marine battery. I talked to the rep for these batteries and found they are made by Deka, who also makes Wally World and Motorcraft batteries. The nice thing is these Parts Master batteries carry a two year free replacement warranty. Wally Worlds are 18 month then pro rated to 24 months retroactive. It just occured to me the battery that is yet good in my boat was warrantied in 2003, likely the reason it is still in good shape. Either way that’s a long time for a marine battery.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Everstarts here. And if they fail in 18 months or even seem close to failure, take them in and have them tested. Most likely they will give you new ones, warrantied out. I have.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Wal-Mart Everstart and Maxxums all the way here

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

I have 2 Interstates that serve my 12V well, they are wired parallel. I agree with the previous post that having a good charger is (probably) at least as important as the battery itself. Mine is fully automatic, I just hook it when I put the boat away and forget it. I have gotten much more life from my batteries than I used to with my old manual charger. My $.02.

yoda840
    Western North Carolina

I just replaced my cranking battery about 2 hours ago … the original was the lower powered interstate …. went with the higher power interstates, same size … only $59.95 with 24 month full replacement warrenty ,,,, my fault, I suppose, since I wasn’t diligent about keeping the water level above the plates …. but the trolling batteries are still working just fine … almost 3 years on them (and the nitro) ….. I watch the water level better now ….. just my two cents!
    Barry

ProTiller
    Chisago Lakes Area

I use Hawker Energy Trolling Thunder Batteries. My starting battery was put in in 1998 and I plan on using it again this season. My TM batteries finally died last summer.

sand_pike

I think the everstarts from walmart are a great value, I’ve got a few seasons on mine and it seems to be holding up well. I think the key is to keep em charged, if you drain em re-charge them right away.

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

All i use are interstates and optimas. I have an excellenct interstate dealer near me and we usually go in every other month and check out supply. I have been buying blemish batteries that truck drivers and heavy equipment use. Good cranking power and a LARGE reserve.

I use these batteries in demo derbies and have never had a problem(very durable) and i run my 24v trolling motor off a pair of them and they work excellent I think i have about 5 of them that i use myself in addition to some other batteries.

I can’t say what i get them for but its comparable to a everstart from Walmart for a car.

This last winter, i purchased an optima gel batt. to power the fish house. We would use the house every night for a week with all the ceiling and hole lights on, after a week it would need recharging. Using a regular batt., they needed to be recharged every other night. You take a hit in the wallet, but they are well worth the money.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

How are the Exides???

Been using Trojan so far.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.