What brand of fillet knife do you use?

• ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

After twenty something years of using the same 4″ and 7″ Rapala fillet knives it’s time for some new ones this summer. I’m sure there have been many new brands made since I’ve bought mine and would appreciate some input. Thanks

Ed

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

They are both spendy, but I use Cutco (awesome) and have heard great things about the Leech Lake knife, but have never used it. Both are about $70 each, but if I would have bought them first, I could have thrown away the 10 other $12 knives that don’t work anymore, and been money ahead.

bradg

I dont have one yet, but I know a lot of people who have electrics, and have used them a few times, they are pretty darn fast. And I think that there is no more waste than with a straight blade! Last summer me and another guy were cleaning about 8 or 9, 15 to 18 inchers for a fry and 3 guys came up with at least 12 eaters about the same size after we had already cleaned 2 or 3 and they beat me done!!! Both sides had one person cleaning!! and they did just as nice of a job. I think that was MR. Fisherman Brand??? it was green on one side and yellow on the other.

Brad

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I have been using the leech lake fillet knives for over 12 years and have only had to have it sharprned once(no charge)
    Don builds the best that I have ever used
    they are at the Minneapolis sports show booth # 63
    or at319-396-5952 or 218-547-3445
    http://www.leechlakeknife.com

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I use the electric fisherman…only when cleaning a BIG mess of fish for a fish fry or to save time. They are real fast but not precise.
    Otherwise I love my Chicago Cutlery 9″ folding Traveler.

sallie

My husband uses a Chicago Cutlery he’s had for years and years. I use a Forschner which I like very well. I bought mine at a locker in Oran Ia. They both hold a edge very well.

witte
    West Salem, WI

Rapala electric. The knife does all the work so no sore back cleaning a mess of fish.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I have been using the Normark(Rapala) knives for so long I have a hard time using any other knife.. they all feel so different. They are good knives as long as you keep them sharp. THe sharpener that come withthem.. throw them away. If you want to make it quick.. get an electric sharpener and the knife will stay razor sharp if you keep it touched up.

I have heard very good things about the electric knives, and I have seen people using them that are used to them.. they are fast and have very good results once your used to using them..

Wonder how many fish I will butcher to learn if I go that route?

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Went electric a few years ago and will never go back..however I have been looking for a good rechargeable.

(I have a Mr Twister)

Cuts your cleaning time.

A limit of walleyes can be cleaned in 15 minutes or less.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I bought an innexpensive Gerber at a bait shop this winter out of necessity and its pretty darned nice. Around $14 and same size as regular Rap. Black rubber handle and sharpener built in case. Nice size and shape and came surgically sharp. I can see where electrics would come in handy for perch and walleye but not Gills. Personal preference I suppose. I’m sure I’ll never own one.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I use both electric and non-electric depending on how many fish I have to clean. I have 2 Mr. Twiser electric knives and I love them. I’ve tried the Rapala electric but do not like the blades compared to the Mr. Twister blades. Electrics are an absolute necessity if you are cleaning a mess of pan fish. I also have tried several regular fillet knives but my favorite (and oldest) is a Fiskars? I’m not sure of the name or spelling but it is easily the best non-electric fillet knife I have ever owned. I have broken too-many blade tips on the Rapala knives and will never purchase another.

Eyehunter

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I use the American Angler electric to take the sides off then use the Rapala knife to take out the rib cage and skin.

I use a butcher steel to keep the blade sharp on the Rapala.

Gotta admit the old rapala knife is getting old. I have had my eye on that Leech Lake knife. Maybe this will be the year.

-J.

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

Well know i am a collecter of knifes My most expensive is a buck thin blade i bought 8 years ago for around 40 or 50 bucks. I have aqlso been using an electric for lots and lots of years. they are by far the the best knifes for cleaning any size fish. the trick with using electric is the are sofast in the begining you have to learn to control your hand and speed movement if you dont you will cut throughthe fish every time. after abuot three or four tries it will come . i clean all size fish with my rapala electric. its real quixck,and clean. two years ago 9 of us caught a couple buckets of perch every said no throw them back i said i would clean them allwith the electric knife ihad them all done in 45 min. and my back didnt hurt a bit. a wise old man told me only a fool want use a new tool, he said he remebered when people wouldnt use them new table saws. eveyone said they were to dangerous. thats my story and im sticking to it.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Mr. Twister

Ive tried the other brands and Mr.Twister seems to fit the hand the best. Back in the old days, we clean thousands of fish on the mille lacs launches and the Mr.Twister never let us down.

Rapala put the blade eject right button right where you want to place your thumb for support.

BobB
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin

I have used the same blade for 24 years now. I have cleaned about a gillion fish and butcherd about 100 deer with it. The knife is about used up. I can’t find one that I like so I am thinking about forging my own. My biggest dilemma is what to use for handles.

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

If you don’t want to worry about bones, then use an electric knife. If you want fine control and the best looking fillet without bones, use a standard fillet knife. The thinner, less wide, and more flexible blades are the best. If the blade is too wide, it makes tough going up over the ribcage bones that extend to the skin.

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I own a Dunn knife old man makes them from down south. He used to come to the Sport Show in Minneapolis. They are a bit pricey 140.00 but well worth the money I sharpen about three times a year and that is it. Holds an edge like no other knife. They have a web site Dunnknives.com.

eyedoctor

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I just bought a Cabela’s Advanced Angler this winter and I like it a lot so far. It needed sharpening when I bought it, but I put a razor edge on it with a few stones and a steel, and now it is awesome. The blade is very thin and flexible, so it is great for panfish. I’d definitely recommend it. It was around $20.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Schrade and Chicago Cutlery,both sharpen easily and do a great job. Schrade has recently gone out of bussiness so you might not be able to get one any more.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Thanks guys, you’ve given me a lot to think about. I have a Hamilton Beach electric knife I use to carve our turkey on Thanksgiving, would that work for a fillet knife?

Ed

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

No, a turkey knife will not work. They are meant to cut downward. You’ll be cutting sideways with an electric fillet knife. It will take some fish to get the hang of it. The best tip I can give is to make sure you keep the handle of the knife off the table when cutting. Keep the blade flush with the table but keep the handle out away from the table. Its the handle that will cause you to cut into the other side of the fillet which will pretty much trash the fish.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

I have a “Like New” Leech Lake Fillet Knife for sale. It is in perfect condition and comes with a brown leather sheath. It was made in 1999. I am asking $50.00/firm. A new one sells for $89.99. I bought 2 of them, but the first one never gets dull. I have only sharpened it once. I took it to the Northwest Sportshow and Don did it for free. It’s a great product! 690reece

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My Hamilton Beach electric knife has a swivel blade, I just turn the collar on the knife and insert the blades and can use it sideways. Might have to try that next time.

craigrbox
    Bloomington, MN

I have used the Leech Lake Knife for a couple of years now and have cleaned a ton of fish without it going dull. My brother has cleaned hundreds of fish before having to sharpen his also. great knife, best I have ever owned. I have used it to cut up cut bait and then used it the next weekend to filet sunnies and it is still sharp as the day I got it.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Your turkey cutter might just work.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Using an electric knife do you start at the tail and go up to the head?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The hamiton will work. I just don’t care much for the blade design.

-J.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I use the Mister Twister too. It works well but the cord can get in the way. Try to get a cordless if you can. When I don’t have electric I use Rapala.

I fillet with electric the same as without – start at the head, follow the spine, remove the fillet from the skin, remove the ribs. Takes about 30 seconds per side on a 15-17 incher.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.