Looking at a new spinning reel?

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Professional Guiding puts some added stress on gear. I thought I would pen some thoughts on purchasing a new reel.There have been some inquiries here lately on spinning reels. While I am not a self proclaimed expert, I have over 40 years dealing with a serious fishing addiction… (Still in recovery) , and have had many, many reels.

Not all ball bearings(bbls) are created equal…

A simple glance at the # of ball bearings is not always a good measure of a reel’s overall quality. Example: Mitchell Avocet Gold, Diawa Samurai both have 8 bbl…list for under 30$(and are pretty decent reels!). However the Diawa Certate, Shimano Stradic, and St. Croix Avid reels have only 5 bbl and are over $100. So what gives?
    It is the quality of the bearings and, the roundness, hardness and degree of polished surface. These are called super bearings.

Quantum has a Polymer/SS hybrid bearing that goes in all their reels and IS a factor in quality/price. They also have gone to an all magnetic bail system that peaks my interest. I see the Kinetic PTs have all the bells and whistles (albeit a few less bbls) for under $80

Also look for a durable bail/spring, oversized bail roller…even line spooling, instant anti reverse, and a good smooth drag. Many of the more notable Guides/Pros here use light lines…6 or 8# test when jigging the river, when that 11,12, or 13# Walleye crunches your jig…you WILL need a smooth, dependable drag.

I have had good luck with Shimano, Diawa, and Quantum. My favorite for the past several years that I have been guiding (on a tip from Mr. Holst) has been the Fin Nor Ahab-lite. However that company recently went into receivership so it is an uncertain future for those reels. I am also pleased with a couple new St. Croix Avids that I purchased last year.

I hope others will pipe in here with their experiences/opinions on selecting a new spinning reel…so many of us have a long wait until out local Walleye/sauger season opens. It’s a good time to research those new tackle needs!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I can’t say enough good about the Quantum Energy pti’s.

I bought three of them when they were $129.99.

It looks like the Kinetics are at a decent price point. I do like the magnetic bails.

shaley
    Milford IA

I dont guide but I do log more hours on the water than your average fisherman. We run normaly 18 spinning reels in the boat between the wife and I, Shimanos are by far my favorite, but I have been haveing good luck with the Avocets. For walleye fishing those are the only 2 brands of spinning reelsin our boat, neither brand have failed me yet.

I catch a variety of fish while searching for eyes, 15 pound drum and 20# plus carp will tell you quick if you have a bad reel, as well as muskies, northerns and smallies, In fack my best Tiger Muskie to date was on a 1500 Sedona.

I have 2 Sedonas that are going on 10 years old and both are still my favorite reels.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

Cabelas has the Energy PTi for $139.95…….I have all Penn and Abu Garcia reels in my boat. I feel that the Penn Prion P900 is the best reel on the market for under $200. The only problem with them is that you can’t find them too often. The going price for them is $159. but I keep checking ebay for them. The Abu Garcia Cardinal 502(at $55.), for the money is probably the best all around reel. I have fished Penn and Abu for many years and have never, yes, never, had a problem with either of them.

ARCH
    southern minnesota

I think that the reels kind of go in cycles, I used to be all Shimano, but have recently really started to like Diawa. I’m by no means a guide or expert, but spend a considerable amount of time on the water.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have also been happy with the Avocets, for about $25 at FF. Cant go wrong at that price.

tracker18
    DeWitt, IA

It is hard to go wrong when you purchase a Shimano spinning reel from the Sedona model on up to the more expensive. Over the years I have purchased many different brands; Diawa, Quantam, Browning, etc. Over time I have gone back exclusively to Shimano. In my opinion they are the most reliable and durable for the dollars spent.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

I also would suggest the Quantum Energy PTi’s. I bought one last year and it has been a great reel. They are fairly light and I also like the titanium bail.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.