New RAM GPS mount

• fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Just picked up this new RAM mount for GPS units, it mounts between the RAM base and the mounting bracket for your sonar/GPS unit and has a place to mount the GPS antennae puck. Got it at Cabela’s in PDC.

Love to Troll

Please elet us know how it works on the water. I have been considering using that antenna mount as well but I have read on other forums of people who have had difficulty receiving a good gps signal when using it (the theory being that the close proximity of the gps unit itself is blocking the signal from some of the satellites).

WadenaMan
    NE Iowa

I tried one of these mounts on my new x-25 this weekend. Didn’t have good results, the GPS signal wouldn’t stay locked on. I had it mounted on the console, so the GPS puck was sandwiched between the windshield and the unit itself. Tried my homemade GPS puck mount that holds the puck just to the side of the unit and it didn’t work either, still too many obstructions. When I took the puck off the mount and placed it in the open, it worked perfectly.

I’m going to try the new mount on my LMS320 on the bow, I expect it will work better up there (fewer obstructions).

MikeRyan

That looks very clean, but was told by RF engineer for best performance to keep the puck 2’+ away from the unit and that guy works for Lowrance.

Cheers,

Mike

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I’m not so hip on the idea either. Let us know how it performs for you Owen, please.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Hopefully will be able to get my boat out of winter storage soon and test on the water. I had to store it early last October when I had my knee replaced (on my trolling motor leg). The building it is in has a bunch of boats and campers ahead of my boat in the corner. I’m going nuts and the neighbors are starting to worry, but I can hit anything with a lure for 2 houses each way!!! Only 117 fishing days till we leave for Canada, it’s worse than waiting for Christmas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.