My New Rig

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Tuck was nice enough to take some pics of my rig when he was down at LaCannes today.. Its a Navigator 165 with a 60 Yamaha 4-stroke tiller. Yamaha has a new tiller handle that allows you to kick the RPM’s down for trolling..

I pick her up Sat..

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

Sharp looking boat! How does that work with the motor being able to drop way down in RPM’s? That’s an awesome feature! Is it similar to the 2+2 that merc has?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks guys.. I cant find any info on the technology. Yamaha claims they are the only tiller motor to have it. I would image its top secret. I have a friend with the same motor and loves it for trolling. There’s a button on the handle and you can adjust the RPM’s in increments of 50.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Derek,very cool!!! Is this your first Alumacraft?
    Wish I could get mine sold so I could pick up a new rig.
    Ryan Hale

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice ride Derek! I plan to pick up mine this weekend as well.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Very nice looking rig Derek.
    Thanks, Bill

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Nice rig sir! When are you giving rides?

dd

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Alright D! …Looks like I picked a good guy to do a trip swap with… You’ll have to “rough it” in my Crestliner

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Nice rig, many relaxing hours ahead. Bet you can’t wait to get it home and get all your goodies installed. You are going to love it. I got a 175 Navigator last year ( a twin to the one Bill Cadwell has for sale ) and I totally love it, smooth dry ride, tons of room ,a very fishable boat and about 36-38 MPH on the GPS with my 90 HP Mercury 4 stroke.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks fellas. Yes, Ryan this is my first Alumacraft. Ive always been partial to Lund but Ive always had my eye on Alumacraft as well..

The performance specs on this boat with a 60 is about 32.5 MPH GPS with two guys and gear. Plenty fast for me.

Mike, what did you get?

Tom, we’ll break in the livewell on Mille lacs

nwbuck
    Hartley, IA

Congrats! Nice looking rig. Best part of getting a new boat is spending evenings out puttering in the garage getting all the goodies installed.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

FYI
    I talked to the engineer at Mercury on that idle switch. They said they have it on there 60 4-stroke. In the past they were making that motor for Yamaha.

Great choice in a rig.

superdave
    NE IA

Derek, what electronics are you going to mount on it?

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Awesome, Enjoy!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats on your new Honey Derek.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I tried finding info on Merc having it on thier tiller handle but cant find it?

I will be running the new Vexilar Edge 3 color, FL-18 and Lowrance 3600c GPS.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice looking boat. Looks familiar. Give mine a couple of pats while you are down there on saturday.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats to both of you on the new boats guys!!!

Mike, does this mean we can fish out of yours on Mille Lacs in the fall??

ted-merdan

Congrats on your new rig.

After you get some time on the engine can you provide me with some feedback? YAMAHA is looking for input from anglers using this new handle.

The feature is called VTS – Variable Trolling Speed. Here’s a quote from their site on how it works: ‘Yamaha’s Variable Trolling Speed, available on F50 to F90 models, gives you amazing trolling control. Fine tune your most effective trolling speed in 50-rpm increments (within 620-900 rpm’s on the F50 and F60, and within 550-1000 rpm’s on the F75 and F90), and lock it in with the touch of a button. A Yamaha exclusive!.’

Here’s a link to the handle: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/commandLink/06tiller.aspx

Enjoy you new rig and excellent choice of power!!!

ted

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats to both of you Mike & Derek. You both have a sweet new ride.

Kooty lets just say I have fished out of Mikes new boat last year a few times

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Ted, I will definately post some honest feedback..

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

I just picked up my 2006 Tournament Pro 175 tiller with a F90 and T8 last week form LaCannes. Looks like we will be seeing more Alumacrafts on Pool 4 this summer. If you see a black and silver T-Pro stop and say Hi, we can compare notes on our new rigs.

superfish
    Wisconsin

that is no boat i would not let my dog ride in that pile

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Well,, working at Mcdonald’s like you, thats all I could afford. Been waiting for that shot at asst mgr. Then I’ll be makin the big bucks.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What you bought is a very nice rig Bud. Lots of room and storage and very fishable. Lots of features, very nice electronics too. Perfect setup for the river. Look forward to seeing you on the river.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.