ask Merc expert

• JensenT

Where do I find the section of the forum where the Merc tech answers questions?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Hi JensenT! Welcome to IDA!
    I don’t believe that there is a specific forum for Merc Tech..But if you post your question, one of the motor guru’s might be able to help.

baldorman
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I could use some help here… I have a 2003 115 HP 4 Stroke Merc. Last spring I started having problems. It would try to cut out at top speed. I bought my Rig at Link Rec in Rogers and brought it back in there for warranty. The told me I most likely have a plugged injector and only put injector cleaner in it. The told me if they have to replace the injectors it is not under warranty? This is crap to me? What can I do? Mercury web site does not have any contact info to call them directly? My motor manual says to only use 87 octane so that is what I have done from the begining, Link told me to use 92 octane because it’s cleaner gas. All I have done is go by the manual from the time I bought my rig new and I am getting shafted because of it. New injectors from Link is like 200.00 a piece and the guy there said there is no way to tell which one is bad so you will have to replace them all! AM I GETTING SCREWED HERE? And I cant get ahold of Merc to find out if they will tell Link to fix it? WHAT THE HECK DO THEY EVEN GIVE YA A WARRANTY FOR???? PLEASE HELP!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Mercury web site does not have any contact info to call them directly?

I was looking for a copy of the Mercury Warranty info on your motor to see if the injectors are covered. I could not find anything online for you. Does anyone have a paper copy of their Mercury motor warranty for a newer 115 4 stroke? If so, help us out with info on injector coverage in you’re able, please.

Try this…

There is an online customer service request form.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/contact_us

Follow the link above and click on the light blue “contact us online” button to open a form that goes to customer service. I would certainly think you’ll see a response thru this method. If not, let us know, please.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Baldorman,

I understand your frustration, I would get on the horn with Mercury directly and explain to them your situation. Stay cool and tell them everything you have explained here. I am not giving a guarantee what they will say, but they may work with you a bit!

Good luck and keep us posted.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’ll check my Merc warranty tonight and try to post it back up. I have a 2004 115 F4. My dealer told me straight out to use regular 87 octane gas so I don’t buy into what your dealer is telling you.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

My motor manual says to only use 87 octane so that is what I have done from the begining, Link told me to use 92 octane because it’s cleaner gas.

Link is filling you full of it on the higher octane gas being cleaner. Absolute BS.

Check out this link and pick a source. >>> Is higher octane gas cleaner?

From the Federal Trade Committee on down the line, all sources state higher octane gas simply is NOT cleaner than regular.

Time to find a new dealer my friend.

baldorman
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Thanks Everyone! Have any of you had good Success with another Dealer? I am Fed up with Link Rec. I really would not set foot into that place again! Believe me this is the second boat that I have bought from them since 2000 and I could tell you a few more stories that would keep you from buying from them! They are full of BS!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Ok, in reading through the Mercury Warranty, I don’t see anything specific to injectors. Here are the sections that may come close:

1) Exclusions – Minor adjustments and tune ups, including checking, cleaning, or adjusting spark plugs, ignition components, carburetor settings, filters, belts, controls, and checking lubrication made in connection with normal service.

2) Damage caused by neglect or lack of maintenance or abnormal operation – excluded.

3) Use of fuels or lubricants which are not suitable….

4) Warranty covers repairs that are needed within the warranty period because of defects in material and workmanship. Installation errors, accidents, normal wear, and a variety of other causes that affect the product are not covered.

Book indicates that a fuel with a minimum octane rating of 87 should be used and mid-range fuels with fuel injector cleaner are preferred. Gas with more than 10% ethanol or 5% methanol should not be used.

Let me know if I can post other sections. I hope this helps.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

exactly why I’m upgrading to an E-tec or Johnson. No Mercs for me ever again.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

From the info Cougareye has posted I’d say you’re covered if you get with a dealer that will go to bat for you.

jldii

Give Eddy Lyback a call at Lyback’s Marine in Isle Mn.. They hold the highest ranking a Mercury Service/dealer in the state can get from the factory. He can answer all your questions.

320-676-3611

Tell him I refered you.

baldorman
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I will do that!! In fact My boat is stored for the winter at Lybacks! I will call them and ask them to take a look at it this spring!! Thank You ALL very much! I apperciate ALL of you! Be safe and Good Fishing to all!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’ll back Jack’s recommendation to use Eddy. Eddy is the only person I talked to out of 10 “Merc” service repair shops that could hold a solid conversation about servicing my 225. Eddy is getting my boat this coming spring to “super tune” it and prop her!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.