Concern with mapping chips!!!

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

So I have contacted both Lakemaster and Navionics on this issue. I have a major concern backing up the data on my map chip. I view this purchase as buying software with a media kit.

I’ve asked both companies how I back up my data??

The response, basically you can’t. I say I own this data right?? They say “Yes,but”. For copyright purposes they can’t allow me to make a copy of the data. I understand this and completely agree.

However, if my map chip becomes lost or stolen or damaged, how do I get my data back?? Tough luck was the response I got.

Whenever I buy software for myself or my company, the first thing I/We do is backup the media and license keys to an offsite disaster recovery location.

I’m very disappointed in both of the responses I’ve received. I think as consumers we should demand the ability to backup and recover this data. But, since these businesses have a monopoly on mapping software, I doubt we get very far by demanding.

I guess I’ll just take another beating from the man and like it.

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

I have searched for utilities that would allow me to make a personal backup but I have not had any success.

Those stupid chips really are secure.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

People are backing up there chips.

People are also looping “wrecking” chips trying to read and back up the chips, people who have successfully backed up there chips with out looping the chips have attemted to write this info to blank SD cards, so far they have been unsuccesful because the Encryption is good and chip specific and can only be written to the original card.

I feel your pain….at this point in time if you lose your chip you have to buy another.

ICU
    Coon Rapids,MN

I am a comp builder for hobbie and a tech geek. I would believe that you could by a jump drive that uses the same media card(there easily found on google). Insert your map card, transfer data and I will not say more as I do not want to offend anyone on this site. I do believe that if you purchased the software that entitles you to be able to back it up.

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

That doesn’t work. Like PierBridge stated, the data’s encryption is tied to the chip. Probably using some globally unique identifier in the chip as the key.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

That doesn’t work. Like PierBridge stated, the data’s encryption is tied to the chip. Probably using some globally unique identifier in the chip as the key.

If not they would be out of business and everybody would have every chip.

It’s just a regular SD/MMC card.

I am sure some day theives will circumvent the technology.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You’re right Pier. You can backup the data via a lowrance process, however without the original MMC/SD card it won’t do you any good.

I’ve sent some suggestions off to both businesses however they didn’t seem well received. I’m guessing if you were to push this in a court of law there would be way to win. However, who has time or wants to do this. Plus, like you stated, in the long run it would put them out of business. Every Tom, Dick and Harry would be making copies for his buddies at $20.00 bucks a chip.

I’m just frustrated no way backing this data up. I know the handhelds are much more popular now and guys are constantly swapping back and forth between different units. My experience tells me there will be data corruption problem sometime(which is recoverable if the chip isn’t damaged).

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I accidentally erased my card one time. I took it back to lake master in Little Falls. I talk to them quite often and they explained their strict policy on copying the cards. They did however give me a new card. As of right now no one is able to copy them. It will only take time before someone figures it out. The cards do become unreadable if you try to copy them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.