New Trolling Motor?

• Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Hey everybody my trolling motor is getting pretty old now and is starting to wear out so I am looking to get a new one pretty soon. Is there any models that you would all suggest. I have a older motorguide 41lb thrust trolling motor on there now, but would like something with a little more power. It will be going on the front of a 17′ nitro 170dc. Thanks

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Help me with a little more info;

12 or 24 volt?

Ron

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I have a Minnkota Maxium bow mount that I bought in 2000 and I love it. I think the lowest thrust they make for the Maxium is 74 Lbs which is 24 volt. I’ve used many trolling motors over the years and I like the Maxium by far the best. I thik Minnkota makes a Maxium Pro model now as well.

I don’t know if Motorguide has gone to a synthetic shaft on their trolling motors yet or not but I wouldn’t buy one with a steel shaft. I have a friend who recently purchased a boat and put a 4 year-old Motorguide on it. He bent the shaft on it one of the first trips out.

Eyehunter

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

If you are going to stick with a 12 volt system (one battery) I would go with the Minn Kota PowerDrive 55PD. You might be a little underpowered yet. If you really want to improve, I would go with a 24 volt system (two batteries)and move up to a Minn Kota Maxxum Max 70.

There are pros and cons to both motors. The Maxxum is the most durable motor out there. It also has the best turning response of any motor (it is cable driven). The PowerDrive has electric steering, so it’s a little less responsive (slower to turn) than the Maxxum, but it does offer you the luxury of being able to steer the motor from almost anywhere in the boat (the cable for the foot pedal is 18 feet long).

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Get the biggest autopilot you can afford, and a co-pilot, truely the best setup I’ve ever used, I once got teased for having “all the toys” that teasing ended about 10 mintues after he got to use my autopilot and co-pilot, then all he could say was wow. Personally I’d give up some power to have the autopilot and co-pilot.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Yeah sorry about that. I have a 24 volt system. It sounds like the Maxxum is highly recommended. I have been talking to a lot of people and have heard nothing but good things. Next thing is where is the best place to buy one. Could someone tell me a little more about the autopilot? Thanks

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

First about the best place to buy.
    That is the easiest question ever. Buy from a great guy and site sponsor.Jolly Ann Marine NO tax, fast shipping, and ask about the payment plan
    Sorry Wade could not resist.
    He is a top notch guy. He will help with all questions. Just shoot him a PM and ask away. You can find him a few posts up.

Ron

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks Ron!

The “fast service” part will depend on my wife for a few days. I’m heading to Mille Lacs in the morning and won’t be back until Sunday night. My wife will be taking care of any online orders but the phone orders will have to wait until Monday.

BTW, prices are negotiable on the higher priced motors. Shoot me a PM with the specific motor you want and I’ll give you a price quote. The discounts aren’t huge but like they say, it’s better than a stick in the eye.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.