shakespeare antenna

• pistolpete

on the boat i bought this year there was a marine radio with one of them 8 ft antennas…i never checked to see if it worked…there was no stereo in the boat so i put one of them in and bought a shakespear adapater/splitter so that both radios would work on one antenna…nothing really works right, i only get a couple of radio stations and the marine radio only works when i’m pretty close to someone on the lake…any ideas on what could be wrong here?

Is there any way that there could be something wrong with the antenna or is it probably the splitter?…is there any way to have the splitter checked to see if it’s faulty?..i was thinking to maybe hook the marine radio directly to the antenna and that might tell me if the antenna is bad but how can a antenna be bad?

thanks in advance!!!!…good luck to all on this fall!!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Pete,

I don’t think you can connect a stereo to a VHF antenna, not to my knowledge anyway. That may be the problem. Can you try to hook the VHF radio directly to the antenna without the splitter ans see how that works?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I would agree with Wade, I would wire it direct, and give each radio their own antennae.

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

yep go with one antenna for each

warrenmn
    Minnesota

I’ve seen this type set up for some of my ham radio gear but never tried it. They used the car radio antenna to transmit on so no one could ever tell you had the gear in the car and swipe it.
    I will tell you this, it can be done, but likely shouldn’t. The best thing you could do for the marine radio is have the SWR checked to make sure its loading up right. If not you might take out the finals.

pistolpete

thanks a lot for the help

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

The best thing you could do for the marine radio is have the SWR checked to make sure its loading up right. If not you might take out the finals.

What is the “SWR”?

I have a similar problem. I can’t communicate with anybody further away than maybe a half a mile.

The antenna is soldered to the cord but is there a way to check to see if it’s a good connection?

yoda840
    Western North Carolina

SWR = Standing Wave Ratio …. its the fine fine tuning of the antenna that can improve performance, but I’ve never seen it as dramatic as you describe …. you’ll need a radio friend with a meter for checking it …. its a matter of fine detail in how long the antenna is.
    barry

warrenmn
    Minnesota

That is SWR, its a measure of how much energy going down the coax is coming back. If its good, none. The main reason here for the swr meter is to see if that matching network you were talking about is so bad its screwing you over. One thing besides not hearing any one is that if it has a high swr, that equates to heat on the finals in your radio. Companies can over build stuff to survive some heat, but if its so bad your receive is tanked? I think you get the idea.

Give you an idea of what I deal with so you can see how much it matters. I’m working on receiving weather related information such as fax’s of weather charts, sat images and radio teletype. They transmit these on extremely differing HF freq so just one antenna cut to some freq isn’t going to do very well. I guarntee you the SWR on the other freqs is higher than a cats back in front of the junk yard dog. But I can make whats called a tuner so that the radio likes the antenna’s looks, and has a very low SWR. Now this diffenence will make the signal you receive go from a very nice,quite, no noise, no one there to a blasting, break your ear drums, wish the guy would shut up kind of signal. So, that thing you put in line to so you could use two radios on one antenna is kind of like that tuner with a kick.

I’m betting your radio is nice and quiet. I don’t remember what freq they use on the marine radio’s, but you have to have a SWR meter that is good for that range to check it. The one the guy down the blocks uses on his trucks CB likely won’t work. I would guess who ever sold you it should have one. One of the sensors for the one I have goes from 140mhz to 450mhz. Else look for a friend whose a ham with VHF equipement. Oh, you may have to by an adapter if the sensor doesn’t have the same connector. Do they use PL 259’s?

Other wise save yourself trouble and return it.

WarrenMN

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Is there a place in the Twin Cities that work on marine radios?

warrenmn
    Minnesota

Not sure if Fish Electonics is still around, but you might check them out.

My next project is to see how hard it would be to receive images like these while out camping or in the boat.

http://216.101.23.70/aptcurrent/aptcurrent.html

The area of NW North Dakota and the two Canadian prov, you can see where that last snow fell I think. Make sure to put the cursor over the image and click to magnify and you can see Lake Sakakawea in the middle so it isn’t clouds.

WarrenMN

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.