E-tech, Yammy or Honda

• duckilr
    Mississippi River

From what I understand, the yammy 150 4 stroke is an in-line 4 which dramatically reduces the wieght of the engine. The only engine that is offered in a 175 (the max rating for my boat) is the Etech. I have priced them out and all are within similar price ranges, now I really have to start doing some hardlined research. Thanks for all your help guys! DK

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Kilr:

The Mercury Optimax and Yamaha HDPI are also offered in a 175 as well.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I have a couple of questions that I have to answer myself before I make any decisions. For as much as I use my boat during the year, in gas savings alone an etec/4-stroke would pay for itself in a little over 9 years. I probably won’t keep the boat for that long… so I am trying to figure out if the extra money for them upfront is actually worth it. Don’t get me wrong moss… I like my EFI and haven’t ruled that out just yet.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Is your current EFI shot? Or are you just replacing it for the mileage? If the latter is the case, it will NEVER pay for itself. Just keep the EFI for sure.

What year is your boat?

PS, the Opti and HDPI will get about the same mileage as a ETEC/4 stroke, and may be cheaper.

DanH

Here in the New England, the direct injection 2-strokes are becoming very popular. For the larger center console boats many of the charter captains/guides are finding them to be much more fuel efficient than the 4-strokes. For a given cruising speed, they are simply running at lower rpms than were with 4-strokes. E-tecs are showing to be very dependable. I have only heard of one major mechanical failure and I know Evinrude had a factory technician on-site the next business day. They quickly decided to give the boater owner a new engine and took the busted engine back for analysis. The majority of the other issues have been corrected with software mods (settings or updates).

The newest Yamahas and Hondas continue to be good reliable engines. This summer seams to have been a bad summer for Suzuki. A lot of the higher end 4-strokes have been having problems. Mostly lower units and power-head seals failing that result in powerhead failures.

On the smaller end, Tohatsu’s TLDI direct injected 2-strokes are also very good. As quiet and smoke free as the e-tec without some of the electronic wizardry. Tohatsu is now starting to put the TLDI technology into their higher hp engines. I believe a 115 is out or coming out very soon.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

Is your current EFI shot? Or are you just replacing it for the mileage?

What year is your boat?

No my current EFI isn’t shot (are you looking) but I would like to update it for something newer with warranty etc. The whole rig is a 98 but is in excellent shape. I actually haven’t priced a new EFI or HDPI. I have only priced the 3 that I have listed in the thread. Is there much of a difference in up front price?

Thanks guys for all your input.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

It it were a 175, I might be.

I don’t think you could make up the cost of gas AND minor repairs for a long while if you bought a brand new DFI or 4-stroke motor. Those EFI Mercs are pretty durable motors from what I have seen, and the gas difference isn’t that big. I would suspect, what, 8-10 grand minimum (probably more) for a new or 4-stroke? That’s alot of bones.

pyake

Good recent product comparison on 4-stroke’s and E-Tec. Yammie was not included, but Honda and E-Tec were. This is on the 90HP models, not the 150 that you are interested in.

Roarin 90’s

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

I would suspect, what, 8-10 grand minimum (probably more) for a new or 4-stroke? That’s alot of bones.

Yes, looking at more like a 12-13-14k! Either way thats alot of bling. Take a lot to make up the difference in gas mileage… that’s why I said I figured for me it would take about 9 1/2 – 10 years.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.