Abu Ambassadeur 7000

• warrenmn
    Minnesota

I picked up a used Ambassadeur 7000 (one of the reds) that looked real nice, but with a problem, to see if I could fix it to use with lead line. I tried first loading the lead line just to see if it was big enough and no it wasn’t so now I’m debating what I should do with it. Some one I know wants to buy it but I don’t want to palm off a lost cause on them.
    It locks up in forward like the anti reverse when I real in and put enough pressure on the line to make the drag slip. If I back just a bit it lets loose and reels ok again till I make the drag slip again.
    Any one have that problem and suggestions or should I trash it and save him the money.
    WarrenMN

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Send it to Berkley, and they will fix it. They have for me in the past, even if there was no warranty on it! I would send it with a letter, and ask what it would cost to repair it. Don’t be suprised if you get it back fixed at no charge! I am not saying they will! I am just saying they did for me, and I am not sponsored by them in any way!

Try emailing them if you want, or you can get their address from this link Berkley or Abu Garcia

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I would probably buy the reel from you if you offered a reasonable price. It is repairable.. no way to tell what is wrong without looking at it, might cost $20 to fix, maybe much more.. all depends on what is going on.

I am interested in the reel if you are willing to part with it, and not set on throwing it in a dumpster(please dont).

email me, or send me a pm if this is something you might want to figure out… i was going to buy a new 7000 pretty soon.. I would rather fix an old one and save a few $$

[email protected]

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Curious, you said you could not fit enough lead line on..How much are you trying to put on? I have lead line on reels smaller than 7000’s that are more than enough for the lakes and rivers I fish.
    T.

warrenmn
    Minnesota

It was hard to pass up at the price asked. I could likely have fit enough of the lead line for what I’m going to fish, but the first time trying it I wanted to go with the full roll. I’m always seeing stuff at 25 to 30 feet when I map and every time I go fishing with Doc I get ideas on things best left undone me thinks. I should have mentioned I picked up 36 lb line like he was using in case I need to bust through a snag .
    I’ll give contacting the company a try. Thanks for the info.
    WarrenMN

gary_wellman
    South Metro

That reel, in my honest opinion, is one of the best, strongest reels ever made. I personally feel they smoke the “$300” reels for performance, durability, and strength.

All for a mere $100.

Get the reel fixed!!!!

warrenmn
    Minnesota

I emailed Abu about the reel, but who would you recommend taking it to. Would prefer some where on the Forest Lake end of the cities. It’s smaller size over what I was looking for, Daiwa FW57H, would be easeir handling. I could go buy some 18lb lead core and put the heavy stuff back for a rainy day. I’d feel better not passing off a possible dead horse.
    Looking at one screw slot on the handle I can tell who ever had it had tried or did open the case. Now I wonder if they put it back together wrong.

WarrenMN

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Not to pull any business from HOF, who does reel repair in Rochester, but Thorne Bros is not far from you and they service alot of these reels.

I would go to either place.

warrenmn
    Minnesota

The friend said get it fixed first and then decide if I still wanted to pass on it. Well, I contacted the company and they said send it down and they’d see what they could do with it. I sent it UPS on Tuesday, and to my surprise I got it back today, Friday. You were right and I’m glad I did, it has that solid smooth feel of a good reel.

Seeing the 36lb Leadcore was going to be too heavy to fit I bought 15 # test. Now all I have to do is figure out what a good pole would be to go with it, LOL.

Thanks for all the input guys.

WarrenMN

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Just curious, what was the bill?

warrenmn
    Minnesota

Didn’t recieve a bill so other than the 10 bucks for shipping UPS, I guess $0. Even if it was $30 I would have come out a head.
    WarrenMN

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Kind of what I thought…I’ll keep buying their reels! They really treat you right!
    I really wish they had a line counter built into one of these reels! Not the digital one!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.