Pontoon Repair

• skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Had a little problem trailering a pontoon boat over the 4th of July weekend. The boat had some things inside shift as I was taking a corner, and I scraped a pontoon on the asphalt resulting in a 4-6 inch gash in a weld. Does anyone either know of someone who could repair this on site, or within a short distance of Somerset? Would something like JB Weld work? I’m pretty sure it’s an aluminum pontoon.
    Thanks,

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I used to weld for 9 years and finding someone to heli-arc it is the best way and a smaller repair like this should be reasonable, under 100 dollars. Although jb weld is a very good product it is better to get it welded. Try pulling the boat to a weld shop that heli-arcs and it shouldn’t take more than an hour to do it if its right where he can see the tear.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Dan is right!

Weld that baby up and forget about it!!!!
    It shouldn’t cost that much to get it done.

JB weld will work, if it is applied correctly. However, if it isn’t applied/mixed just perfect, water and heat will make it weak and fall apart.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I kind of figured about the JB Weld. I’ll have it welded. Anyone know of anyone close to Somerset that does this type of thing?
    Thanks,

Guvner

While you’re there get anything else fixed up if it’s an older pontoon. There’s usually something else with a crack in it. Also if it is an older one it would be good opportunity to add some goodies on the back of one of the pontoons like the newer ones have. I know I have an old Harris I added a bracket for the sonar, a bilge pump to fill a livewell above and added battery holding brackets to one side and a gas can holder on the other. Doesn’t take them guys with the right welder long.

Make sure it’s not a windy day. Pontoons don’t fit in their garages and the wind will make it nearly impossible for him to weld it as it blows the inert gas off the weld area screwing up welding aluminum.

Good luck… Guvner..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.