motor question

• pistolpete

Hi!!!…hope everyone had a great weekend and caught fish!!!..anyways I bought a 2003 Lund 1800 expolerer earlier this year with a 115 4 stroke merc on it…the first time i took it out was to Big Stone for the border opener at the end of April…anyone who was there remembers the strong winds and how cold it was…anyways trimmed up i had the boat going almost 45 that weekend…since then it has somehow lost power…today i could only get it going 35 on a pretty calm day trimmed up and running at 4700 RPM’s

any ideas on what might have happened?…I know taht when we were on Big Stone, one time the boat completely went out of the water when we hit a wave and I even heard the prop come out…could having the prop out of the water thrown off some timing?…is there something that I could do myself?…could I be doing any damage by using it right now?…i have no idea what i did but some power is definitely missing when i open it up…thanks for the help in advance and have a great week!!!!

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Hey Pete , Outboards run much better in cooler temps. I read an article in Bass And Walleye Boat magazine and they exlpained it pretty well. I dont remember all the details but the conclusion was outboard ran harder when the air temps are cooler. Its been down right hot around here

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

Boats can be quite a bit faster in the right chop…it breaks up the suction between your hull and the water, my boat is quite a bit faster on a 1 ft. chop than on glass calm days, I don’t know about 10 mph though.

Jason.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Pete first of all I wouldnt recommend running the engine untill you get it checked out.If you over reved it when the prop came out of the water that could have done some damage.I would first pull the plugs and take a look and see if any are fouled or real white looking indicating that the engine is running hot.A compression test might also be a good idea.Is the engine missing or sound different?Are the RPMs also droping?Is there any damage to the prop?

pistolpete

maybe I should just take it in…i don’t know nothing about motors and the last thing i wanna do is screw something up…thanks for the help

pyake

Another thought,

Was your speed measured by GPS or by the spedometer on the motor. If the motor speedo was used, you may have a small piece of debris blocking the opening. Pretty sure that it is just a small pressure gauge so anything in the way could be the difference that you are seeing.

Are the RPM’s the same as they were originally at the higher speed or are they now lower?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.