marine radio cancels out sonar

• iwontdoit

I have a problem with my raymarine 53 radio every time i key the mike on a channel that isnt 1 watt it will shut off the sonar part of my garmin 188c. i called garmin and they told me to wrap the cables with aluminum tape which i did and that didnt help. it also changes the water temp on the garmin by 8 degrees when the mike is keyed. i think i should probably try another radio to see if it does it also.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Its drawing too many amps on the channels that run on 25W. Wire the radio to its own battery.

kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

I had this same problem. The radio was wired to the same power wire as my finder. Rewired the radio directly to the battery. Works great now. Go figure

iwontdoit

Well thanks for your suggestions, but they didnt work. i even went as far as to put a different battery other than the one in the boat on the radio and didnt seem to help either. any more suggestions? thanks in advance

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Relocate the anntenna away from the sonar.

iwontdoit

I took dereks advice and temporarily moved the garmin antenna away from the marine radio antenna about 3 foot and bingo it works . now all i have to do is permanently mount it again. thanks alot for the advice i am happy again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.