Evinrude 18 horse

• walleyefarm1

I am gonna buy an old boat for frog hunting and other stuff. Neither the motor or the boat are worth much but was wondering what the 18 horse evinrude would be worth it is somewhere in the late 70’s, I know it runs but needs carberator work bad, hasn’t ran since fall of 03 and overall it is is in rough condition, All i want it for is a beater boat just whats the motor worth.

duckwiz66

If you’ve got any skill at all with a screwdriver, and can read a Clymer’s manual, I would grab that 18 in a heartbeat…my dad ran one of those babys for years and years…until the neighbor kids stole it and he got the insurance check. It always started, we used it from opener of walleyes to ice-up bluebills, and it never skipped a beat. Good Motor!

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I used to run an 18hp motor many moons ago and I loved it. My father also had one. They were very reliable motors. My guess is that the motor you are looking at is probably from the 50’s, 60’s or maybe the very early 70’s. I believe OMC stopped making the 18 hp motors right around 1970 or there abouts.

If you do decide to buy the motor make sure you replace the rubber water pump impeller before you run it. Especially since it has been sitting for a couple years. The rubber tends to dry rot when the motor sits for long periods of time. You may want to check the paint finish on the cylinder heads of the motor. If the paint is cracked the motor has overheated in the past.

Eyehunter

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Hey walleyefarm, take it up to Donny at the Fulton Marina. He is the best mechanic in the area by far, and will give you a straight deal and let you know if it is worth anything. I know the old 18’s that I’ve seen where very reliable, strong motors.

John Luebker

I know a friend of my father-in-laws that just fixed a 15HP Johnson and 18HP 1960’s Evinrude. He is retired and works from he garage and a very good rate. He lives in Winonia MN if that is any where near you. feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.