Motor Problems

• Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Hey guys I have been having a couple problems with my motor this year. I have a 1995 Mercury 115 h.p. motor on my nitro boat. The problem is when I start it it can take anywhere from 1 turn of the key to 20 minutes to get it started. I changed the spark plugs and have tried numerous other things, but it doesn’t seem to help. Also when I push in the button to disengage the prop to rev it up a little sometimes it will engage the prop in middle and that is not good on the boat. Once the boat is started and in gear it works just fine and runs like a champ. Any ideas what my problem might be. Thanks

fishiowa
    NW, IA

I have found that many Merc owners do not know that you have to push in on the key and hold it in to choke the motor. If this is not your problem let me know and I might be able to guide you in the right direction.
    Everett

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The problem with these motors, is when you trim them up, the fuel drains from the carbs. Try pumping the ball “tight” before you start and make sure the motor is trimmed down too.

Let us know if this helps.
    I have 2 buddies with the exact same motor and both motors are “cold starting”. They both do this and it helps them quite a bit.

As far as the motor jumping in gear, I would have your controls checked out. That could be very dangerous and possibly break something too!!!

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Yeah I know you hold the key down to choke it, but it doesn’t seem to matter what I do. To start it I usually pump up the ball, then choke it and give it a little throttle and turn the key. It just doesn’t seem like it wants to start sometimes. It is really wierd because like I said once it is started and I am moving the motor runs great. Anyother suggestions?

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Thanks Gary so you think I should make sure the motor is trimmed all the way down when I start it and make sure the ball is pumped full. I usually fill the ball, but I sometimes to trim the motor all the way down. I will try that. Thanks

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I would try it!!!

Like I said, two buddies have the exact same motor, and they are hard starting………

If all else fails, take it in for a check up………

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

My old man’s motor is a 94′ merc and she is real cold blooded too. He has a heck of a time getting her started. I got the magic touch with it, typically I will hold the key in for 5 to 10 seconds before I turn it. And while I turn it I keep it pushed in until it fires. Then if it doesn’t go, or keep running I will crank up the fast idle a bit, and continue to try to start it with the key out. If it doesn’t go right away and you keep the key in the motor will flood. The key is to hold it in until it pops that first time. Couple other things to check, fuel line hose (is the ball hard, are there any small cracks), and your fuel filter (should be replaced based on hours of use). I am kinda in the same boat right now, my pig is in the shop, have my fingers crossed that I have her by Friday A.M.

fishiowa
    NW, IA

Gary and Dan are both right, with the added addition of when it starts to die at first just push the key in again for a split second and it will usually stay running. You might want to take your cover off and push the the key to make sure your choke is working correctly. I had a problem very similar to yours a couple years ago and had to take it in. They replaced one of the ignition boxes and said the box has low and high voltage sides. They said the low voltage side was bad and that was why it started hard, but ran fine once I was in gear and going. I have not had any problems since.
    Everett

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

If you don’t mind me asking how much was it to replace one of those ignition boxes. Just like to get an idea of what I am looking at for a repair. Thanks again for the help.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Gas, Spark and Air. You are not getting all 3. Ok, Duh! You may just need a new primer bulb.

On the advance idle issue. You may want to call any authorized Mercury dealer or contact Mercury Marine directly. That sounds like a serious safety issue that may be covered under warranty or maybe recalled at some point in the past. They may fix or replace it for free.

-J.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

The primer bulb gets hard so does that mean it is working properly or doesn’t that prove it is working. I will contact mercury, but I doubt that it is covered under warranty because it is a 1995 motor. Thanks again for the help.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

A hard bulb is a good sign. Does it stay hard after it gets warmed up? (Ok, no wise cracks from anyone!)

If it’s a safety related issue, Merc should fix it for free. No matter how old the motor is. Lot cheaper than a lawsuit!

-J.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

A can ( or 2 or 3) of seafoam may help you, shouldn’t hurt you anyways, maybe your’re carbs are a bit off (dirty, varnished). Too much Stabile sometimes does bad things to carbs. I can’t offer any specific help, I just believe in seafoam, it really seems to make things run better, I also will never buy cheap oil again, I accidentally bought some cheap oil, and the boat ran like crap until I got through it. Started bad, ran ok, but I really noticed it, and so did everyone when that crap oil fogged the entire area until I got her running good. Lesson learned.

Sounds like you have 2 issues here, the prop slipping into gear isn’t a good thing.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I have an 88, and if I don’t choke it it will never start. When you push in the key, do you get a solid ‘click’? What about when you let off the key? You should be able to push the key in and hear it click both on and off – if you’re positive the choke is engaging, then maybe it’s not disengaging properly??

I also do not raise the idle speed when I start it – just leave it in neutral with the idle lever down. Once it pops, I let off the key and then click the choke back on/off/on/off to keep it running for about 15 seconds or so. If you punch the key in when it starts to die and let off quick, it should idle up again.

You should be able to check the spark cranking the motor by hand or a pull rope with the plugs out. I’ve never worked on outboards besides my own, but I’ve worked on a litany of bikes, cars, and small engines, and have yet to hear of any ignition system that has two voltages going to the coil.

Other things to check are points (do newer motors even have them?) or whatever other trigger there is. With a good DMM and some time, ignition problems aren’t usually too bad to find. If it idles fine once it’s started, though, and the cylinders are still in good shape, I’d bet 10 to 1 that it’s a gas problem.

fishiowa
    NW, IA

The ignition box was around $200.00, another expensive lesson a couple of friends and I have learned about repair shops for mercs is to ask if they have a merc dyno machine. We all had some bad experiences until we started going to Algona Marine. Having a merc dyno machine eliminates the throwing parts at it until its fixed. Good luck, and let us know what the problem was when you get it fixed.
    Everett

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.