New Lowrance Installation Checklist

• fishingscout
    Saint Paul

An update on my NMEA 2000 journey…

The NMEA 2000 network is installed in my boat. I finally received the right parts for my Triton ( it is tough to get the right parts ) to install the 332c and the 480. The system works great. The documentation is fairly correct, but the cable diagram is slightly wrong. The picture of the cable shows the female drop of the NMEA 2000 expansion cable in the wrong spot.

In testing I powered up the 480 and got GPS data, shut it off and tried the 332c and got GPS data. Turned them both on and both units lost comms with the GPS receiver. I upgraded the 332c to 1.2 which has a fix for NMEA communication, after which the system works great.

You only need power on the NMEA network in one spot, like the documentation states.

Now I just need that NMEA temperature sensor after Lowrance answers a couple of questions for me:

1. How can I select the NMEA 2000 temperature sensor on the 332c as the transducer has a built in thermal coupler.

2. What is the part number for the temperature sensor I would need with my configuration.

Thanks

Guvner

Just got the 332c. From the instructions it looks like the main power wire has an additional white wire they are referring to as a speaker wire that isn’t used. Is this correct? Other than that it seems the 2000 network standard has to be hooked up also.

I almost was thinking if you didn’t locate the antenna very far you didn’t need to power the network from reading. I guess it will all make sense tomorrow when I try to actually install it.

As far as the network goes, does your Lowrance have a menu to check all these sensors you can add to the network?

Thanks… Guvner..

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

The white wire is not used.

You will need to connect the red, black and shield wires for the NMEA connection in order to use the antenna. If you don’t connect these wires then your unit will say something like “GPS not communicating”. The black and shield are tied together to ground and the red is +12 volts.

Just FYI, the antenna will consume power even if the unit is turned off. I have heard about some people switching the power to the antenna, but that will cause a delay in getting your initial location…

I have a question pending with Lowrance ( its only been 48 hours ) regarding how the system will pick which temperature sensor if I use a NMEA 2000 temperature sensor. I’ll post when I get a response.

Guvner

Everything went smooth as can be.. The extra wires on the power cable had something to do with the old standard which I had nothing that used it.

I did have a question about an extra transducer though. I had to put this one on the trolling moter for right now. I would like to put an extra one in the hull or at the rear of the boat for cruising. Is there any kind of switch available or do I just have to manually unscrew it?

Thanks… Guvner..

Ps. I used a separate battery just for this figuring with the possibility of power drainage I’d check it first. Anyone know how long it takes the antenna to take down a battery from a full charge when not in use but connected? I also presume this would assume you left your Lowrance connected. If it wasn’t it couldn’t take the battery down that I can see.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Lowrance makes a switch box for that purpose but they tend to cost more than the transducers themselves.

As for the GPS antenna, I don’t know how long it would take to drain the battery but it is a VERY small draw. I have mine running through my electronics buss so I can switch it off. No worries…

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.