Need your help: Evinrude 150 FICHT: buy or not?

• simonexyz

Hello everybody,
    I would like to buy a nice ’99 boat that comes with a Evinrude 150 FICHT (’99 as well).
    I have some doubts about the motor because some people in this forum said this model has a bad reputation.
    The dealer told me he did not experience any problem with this motor and the previous owner. The only little problem was that the motor was recalled to fix a potential problem regarding the injectors.
    What do you suggest me to do ? buy or not ?

DasBoot3
    St Peter MN

yes – if the price is right
    yes – if it has had the recall done
    99 is pre BRP ownership and is a blown powerhead waiting to happen if it has not has the recalls done.
    DB3

jimt
    Sparta, WI

If it has Bombardier replacement parts it should be good to go…if not, its a “flip of the coin”, “cross your fingers” kind of deal, but that can be said about any used motor no matter what brand. I heard a mechanic once say “they all blow-up sooner or later”…maybe thats wishful thinking on his part.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I had a 99 Ficht 150 on my Lund and was a pretty frustrated customer. It was back in the shop 14 times the first summer I owned it. The dealer tried all sorts of things to make it run right and he never did, so I finally dumped the whole thing and started over. The motor was powerful, responsive and light for its HP rating, but I’d never own another one. I think the RAM Fichts were better but have no experience with them.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to IDA Simone!!!
    Do yourself a favor and get a Yamaha, I am not sponsored by them I do not even own one yet but you can bet your bottom dollar my next motor will be a Yamaha

jroe
    iowa

I would shy away from that motor.My brother had one and it spent more time in the shop than in the water.He ended up getting rid of it.I’m no motor expert but the unit he had was trouble from day 1.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You can ask Evinrude if the motor received a new power head. If it did, you would be getting a heck of a good motor! It would have the 2000 updates, and all the head problems of the past would not be an issue. You would be in the same position of anyone buying a used motor at this point. If it looks good, and has been cared for, you should be in good shape.
    Tuck

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.