Boat covers?????????

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I had a custom boat cover made at Erichsen Marine Canvas in Shakopee, the material is Top Gun Marine Fabric. I am very happy with the Fabric, it is better than canvas. I had a snap on one made with support poles, the poles snap on to the cover as well, there are three of them that run down the center of the inside of the boat to keep it raised up high enough so water will not puddle up in the middle. I have not used mine on the road much but the times I have I have had problems with it coming off in the back. I am hopping that this was because I had a soft floor in the back of the boat and the support pole (which is adjustable) was not able to get snug enough. I went with the snaps because I wanted to get away from the tie downs but now I am not sure if I made the right decision or not? I have a friend who had one made at Custom Canvas in Rochester who also used the Top Gun Fabric (you have to tell them you want Top Gun other wise they will use canvas) but they use the slats instead of the poles and they sew in a track (another piece of fabric) to hold the slats in place, he has not had any problems with his and is happy with it. If I had it to do over again I am not sure what I would do, time will tell after I get my floor done and give it a test run. My next boat I might just go back to the tie down kind, but I would defiantly stay with the Top Gun Fabric. The other thing that Erichsen did and recommended was to only go to the front of the splash well with the cover so the splash well and motor is not covered. This makes allot of sense to me not to cover the motor as it will tend to get stretched more and tare and also ware on the motor. I am looking for some feed back here, what others have done and have any of you had any of the same problems I have had with the snaps?

danwi
    westby wi

what is different about the top gun fabric. I’m having my boat cover made this weekend.Mine came with a storage cover.It would be great if i had to keep it outside cause it covers the entire boat. I keep my boat in the garage so i am having it made into a travel cover. You wouldnt have pics that shows how it lays on the splash well would you?

DasBoot3
    St Peter MN

If you go to walleye central photo section there is a picture of my boat that shows how the snaps go around the splashwell.
    DB3

danwi
    westby wi

you answered my question.I was wondering if it just layed or was snapped around…thanks

DasBoot3
    St Peter MN

I’ve towed my boat for two years (approx 1000 mi per year) and have not had a problem with snaps coming off. I think the key is to have the cover TIGHT like in bouncing quarters off it. Adjust those poles up until the cover is as tight as a drum and mark them so it is the same every time. It’s worked for me.
    DB3

waterswat
    WI

I have a snap on cover and am pleased with it so far. I am having problems with the adjustable poles though. I must not be getting the poles extended far enough because if we have any type of wind I go check the cover and the poles seem to always be laying on the floor. Also wondering if you know of any kind of spray that you can put on the cover to further protect it from uv rays and weathering. I had to keep mine stored outdoors all winter and would like the cover to last as long as possible. Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

One thing I forgot to mention was that when the cover is new it will stretch out after a while and you will need to adjust the poles to tighten things up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.