Do all larger Aluminum Boats Leak ?

• veamer
    Kekoskee, WI

I am currently in the market for a 16′-17′ walk thru windshield aluminum boat. I found a late model used one at a Dealer that I liked that was recently traded thus saving about $4000 v/s a new outfit. I had him put it in the water. After approx 1/2 hr of being in the water there was approx 1/2 gallon of water that came out of the drain plug. I spoke to the previous owner and he used it in some rough water and was proud of it. He said it handled the water great. He also said he had a little water (not much) in the boat but thought it came from the livewells splashing over in the rough water.
    I started thinking of buying a new one because I know it won’t leak. The boat dealer said he will fix it and said its probrably just a livewell hose or something simple. With a new one I get the warranty which is usually original owner only. In discussing this with some other aluminum boat owners I know several told me there aluminum boats leak some and anything with rivets will leak sooner or later. My smaller 14′ boat never leaked…but that has a 20 hp on. The one I’m discussing here has a 115 4 stroke on it.
    Anyone have any input or experience with this?
    Thanks.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The only aluminum boats I have seen that leaked were the ones that were abused in rough water or had a livewell leak problem.
    Thanks, Bill

pyake

I have owned 3 different aluminum boats, two riveted, and the curent one is welded. None of them have leaked as a result of a hull defect. The one that did leak had a livewell hose that wore through due to contact with the gas tank. That boat was 15 years old at the time. Once I replaced the hose, she stayed bone dry.

That said, I wouldn’t buy until the dealer proves that he can fix the leak. I have heard that riveted hulls that are run a lot on rough water can eventually develop leaks.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We have had this conversation before. I had a Lowe, and a Mirro Craft. Neither leaked. I have had three different Crestliners, all had water in the hulls after an outing. I have a new Alumacraft Navigator, and have not had a drop of water below. I am a huge fan of Crestliner boats, so don’t get me wrong! I am not bashing them. I just was never able to nail down where the water was coming from. I suspected the livewell in many cases, and then didn’t fill the livewell, and still there was water. I guess to answer your question from my side, I don’t know. You are right, sometime down the road, I may have rivet leaks. But at this point, things are looking dry!
    Tuck

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

While not all larger aluminum leaks, mine certainly did. And it was not from rough water, it leaked the very first time it hit the water. Factory warranty did cover the repairs although it was a pain because boat had to be returned to the factory for repairs. The repair lasted about a year and a half and repairs were done again. As of last September, boat started leaking for a third time. I don’t intend to have it fixed again.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

All four Lunds were dry as is my Starcraft, my one Crestliner did take on water and I was confident that it was from poorly/cheaply designed rear livewell. Sure hope my new Ranger is high and dry……. Kurt

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

I have had my Alumacraft for 2 years now and have had no problems with leakage. It’s a very dry boat. The only time that I do take on water is when I’m back trolling, and all I have to do to correct that problem is to replace the rubber seal on the access plate.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

If you take on water only when the live well is full, then put some silicon glue around the inside lip of the live well. It worked for me.

Dave Gulczinski

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

I have had a lot of Alum boats. The only one that ever leaked was my 1999 Lund Pro V…Too many livewells, hoses, hose clamps and valves. Darn thing sank twice on me at the dock.

Now I have a Lund 1800 Fisherman and the think has been bone dry for 2 years.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

No problems with my 1800 Fisherman. It’s seen it’s share of big water on windy days and stays very dry. I would believe the only time a riveted boat would leak is if you pound the tar out of it on larger waves.

DasBoot3
    St Peter MN

My last two (Crestliner Superhawk 1600 and CL Sportfish 1850) have had zero leaks and never have water in the bilge. My 25+ year old Sea Nymph 14’er has a few water invasion issues but it earned them
    DB3

danwi
    westby wi

i would hate to think they cant build an aluminum boat that dont leak.

jasu

Hi !

I have owned couple of aluminium boats and none of then have leaked.

I have used Finnish boats called Buster and Silver. Finnish made boats because i live here in Finland

You can visit manufactures website at http://www.busterboat.com and http://www.silverboats.fi.

These boats are really great and they will never ever leak.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Jasu, great to see you made it onto the site! We are glad to have you! Be sure to send some pictures of your outings this year! Your pictures on the General Discussion forum were beautiful! I still cant get your boat up!
    Tuck

k taylor

I know of a guy who bought a new Crestliner that leaks. He has had it in to the dealer 7 times, and it still leaks. They are unwilling to do anything about it.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have a 1990 Lund. it used to leak. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. It turned out to be a bad transom. Careful inspection showed the dreaded black rings around the rivets indicating movement. The wood inside the transom had rotted out. If you grabbed the lower unit of the outboard and lifted you could see the whole transom flex. It was an expensive repair, but I haven’t had a drop of water leak in since.

SR

big_g
    Isle, MN

Mine didn’t leak 10 years ago when this post was started and still does not today… crazy

Iowaboy1

if you discover that it is in fact a rivet issue,which can happen,and your dealer/repair center is not able to buck in new rivets,find an aircraft mechanic to do it for you,rebucking/replacing rivets isnt a big deal unless they are in some awful place that cant be reached with out dismantling part of the boat.
    most likely as others have stated,its a livewell issue,or a sealing ring around the drain plug, or a livewell inlet.
    the way to find if it is a rivet issue is to put the boat on a trailer sitting level,partially fill it with water,not too much as you risk having to much weight on your trailer,you may have to block one side up to see if the rivet in question is leaking high on the water line,then block it up so you can check the other side,it may take several minutes to an hour for it to show up. best of luck!!!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Mine didn’t leak 10 years ago when this post was started and still does not today… crazy

Ditto,,,,,,,,,,, I owned a 16ft. riveted hull from 1974 (new) till 2007 and it never leaked a drop during the 33 years I owned it. I purchased a glass boat in 2007 and three years later it was leaking due to a thin spot in the layup.

riverruns
    Inactive

Mine didn’t leak 10 years ago when this post was started and still does not today…
    Ditto,,,,,,,,,,, I owned a 16ft. riveted hull from 1974 (new) till 2007 and it never leaked a drop during the 33 years I owned it. I purchased a glass boat in 2007 and three years later it was leaking due to a thin spot in the layup.

Bought a new Dominator in 1997. You will not find a leak in it!

Aaron

My 1775 Pro-V had one leak and it came from a cracked housing on the live well pump. Once I fixed that, I have never had a problem since. Its also a 1994 model

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Guys, a handy tip for all you who are having leaks on livewell hoses.

When you’re replacing those, throw that corrugated plastic livewell crap away and NEVER use that junk again. Of all the places you don’t want a paper thin cheap hose, this would be it.

Go in the plumbing section of the local big box and get yourself some clear or black PVC hose. It’s available in a wide variety of sizes and generally sold by the foot, so I guess before you throw the old corrugated stuff away, measure it first. Then throw it away!

That smooth hose is thicker, longer lasting, seals better on fittings, and doesn’t impede water flow like corrugated does. It also is less prone to breakage if any water should happen to freeze in the hose. If you replace corrugated junk with corrugated junk, you’re just setting up another future repair.

Also, while you’re in the plumbing section, grab STAINLESS steel hose clamps. Cheap automotive clamps are not stainless and will rust and fail in marine applications. Do not over-torque hose clamps. Use a torque wrench and get it right.

And for marine applications, especially below waterline fittings like the livewell pump inlet, every hose joint should have TWO clamps per fitting wherever there is enough space to do so. That way if one clamp fails or vibrates lose, you have a second clamp keeping the water on the outside of the boat.

Grouse

Ed Lashyro
    NULL

I am currently in the market for a 16′-17′ walk thru windshield aluminum boat. I found a late model used one at a Dealer that I liked that was recently traded thus saving about $4000 v/s a new outfit. I had him put it in the water. After approx 1/2 hr of being in the water there was approx 1/2 gallon of water that came out of the drain plug. I spoke to the previous owner and he used it in some rough water and was proud of it. He said it handled the water great. He also said he had a little water (not much) in the boat but thought it came from the livewells splashing over in the rough water. I started thinking of buying a new one because I know it won’t leak. The boat dealer said he will fix it and said its probrably just a livewell hose or something simple. With a new one I get the warranty which is usually original owner only. In discussing this with some other aluminum boat owners I know several told me there aluminum boats leak some and anything with rivets will leak sooner or later. My smaller 14′ boat never leaked…but that has a 20 hp on. The one I’m discussing here has a 115 4 stroke on it. Anyone have any input or experience with this?Thanks.

mojogunter

Just out of curiosity what kind of glass boat did you buy that was leaking due to a thin spot in the glass?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    Mine didn’t leak 10 years ago when this post was started and still does not today…  :crazy:

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.