Which Avid for Pitchin’/Casting jigs…

• jeff_hansen

I’m in the market for a new spinning rod for pitchin’/ casting jigs and I’m looking for recommendations. I like the feel of the Avid 6’6″ medium light/ fast action, but it may be too light? Is there a better setup?

ShootStr8——–>

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Hey Shooter…

Way to light IMO….

As you’ve probably heard many people say already…I’m out there in left field. , but I would go with the

AS70MHF 7’3″ Medium Heavy

The longer Rod let’s you really give ‘er some “UMPH” when you set the hook, and the MH gives you the backbone to pull them in. Good Luck on your search

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Definitely a 7ft Med-Hvy! That’s what my Avid’s are that I use for jigs. You’re talkin bass, right?

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I know James now prefers longer rods but I have several of the Avid 6’3″ MXF and love ’em. That tip lets me cast tiny jigs with ease and there is way plenty of backbone to set the hook on anything I’m after. I landed a 31# sturgeon on the Rainy River with one and it did just fine. Ask 50 of us this same question and you will surely get 52 opinions. Good Luck…..I’ve had great luck with Avid rods.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Which species and what weight range of jigs?

If you’re after walleye and stick to light jigs (under 3/16ths ounce) the 6′ 3″ Avid will do OK. With jigs heavier than that or when using bigger baits, in my opinion, that blank comes up a little short in the power department. In that case I’d suggest the 6’6″ you mentioned or better yet, the 6′ 8″ MXF.

If you were talking about a rod for bass fishing I’d suggest you completely ignore every thing I just typed…

jeff_hansen

sorry, should have specified… I’m talkin’ walleyes…

jeff_hansen

I’d like to cover the range of 3/16 – 3/8 oz. max… I fish some heavy jigs (3/8) when there’s more flow. Do you think the 6’6″ MLF would handle these? I’ve got a 6’3″ MXF rigged w/ P Pro that I use for vertical and dragging but would like a “go to” rod for tossin’ jigs w/ mono.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Steve DeZurik would be a good one to ask about that ML rod for heavier jigs as he uses it extensively… but most often when pitching much lighter heads but I’m sure he’s had opportunity to throw enough of the heavier stuff to be able to give an informed opinion. For me personally, the answer would be no, not enough rod for my tastes, particularly since I throw jigs on mono only and I find I need a lot of backbone when a fish hits after a long cast.

IF you plan to use a braid with that rod when you’re pitching jigs I bet that would cover up for some of the difference in power ratings between the ML’s and the Mediums allowing you to get decent hooksets on long casts, etc.

BobJohnston

I like using St.Croix 6’9″ ML AS69MLXF and 7’6″ ML AS76MLXF for pitching plastics and hair jigs. They have a soft tip with alot a backbone to drive the hook home. The extra length allows me to cast light jigs a country mile. They are also a good rod for dragging and live bait rigging.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I spend 90% of my fishing time on the river pitching
    jigs 3/32-5/16. The 6’8″ MXF was designed by St. Croix mainly for that purpose.
    Actually the new Legend TWS rods (species specific) list that model as the River Pitching Walleye Tournament rod. The TWS is lighter and with a higher modulus carbon scrim than the Avid model(SC IV vs SC III) and costs 50$ more. They are both wonderful for your purpose.
    BTW…I agree with the other guys to an extent…while I do fish the same presentation with a 6’6″ ML, you are really pushing the envelope when trying to control a larger fish in the current etc…I’d go with at least a Med/fast taper rod 6’6″ to 7′, regardless of brand

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Another vote for the Avid 69MLXF. I’m a big fan of that rod and have two and pitch jigs up to 3/8 with them, using superline. I also have a 68MXF, and it’s a great rod with mono but too stiff for superline. Both these rods give killer hooksets with the XF action.

John

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The 6’9′ is what I use if I have to go down to 1/16. It doesn’t have quite the snoose of the 6’8′ but a great rod.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

The St. Croix 6’6″ medium fast action avid get’s my vote. The 6’8″ medium extra fast action avid is a close second. These 2 rods cover all my jig casting needs

jeff_hansen

Thanks for the input, guys… I appreciate it. I’ll probably end up buying two the way things are looking. Can’t ever find one rod to do two jobs…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.