Vex on your boat?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I have an fl-8 for the winter and I know there is a transducer for the summer, but how effective are they in summer?
    I do mostly bass fishing, would I be best to put it up front or by the consel?
    Do they take the summer elements for punishment pretty well?
    I do use it in the winter but it does not take much abuse like the pounding it will on the boat.
    Will she hole up under normal conditions.
    Thanks for any insite.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I use my LX3 all the time, but I cheat I just toss the transducer over the side of the boat, I have the kit to mount to my trolling motor, I just don’t like the cord on my trolling motor, not to mention sometimes it’s tough to see my bait ( if I’m fishing that way) sometimes unless it’s right under the transducer, which then puts it aweful close to a prop I like it this way, no fuss, and it’s easy to take in and out of the boat, and just as easy to charge.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have the trolling motor ducer for my FL-8 and put it on the bow this year. I like it I just needto make some longer wires to hook it up to one of my main batteries. Right now I just take the pro pak out and set it in the boat and hook up the transducer cord. I was surprised this weekend at Evert’s at all the bigger boats sporting vexes on the bows. I am assuming they will be able to handle the elements.

mile832
    MN

I have a transom mount transducer for my fl-8. I will be putting the fl-8 back on my boat this year because it works so much better for me than my graph, especially on the river. I would recommend a flasher in the boat to anyone who wants to catch more fish . I don’t have any experience with the trolling motor mount, but I would think it would work just as great. One word of caution: Take your flasher off your boat when you are done fishing! My fl-18 was jacked a couple years ago . GOOD LUCK!

CROIXBOY2
    Taylors Falls, MN

I have and Fl-8 for winter and use it on my bow of my 1800 fisherman and love it in combo with my elec trolling motor. I use it the most in my fishing spots I know inside and out. And when I fish areas I don’t know or know very little about I switch to my Lowrance X-18 gps combo , giving me the ability to mark waypoints and map out contours and deep water breaks. But before I ever had the lowrance the FL-8 was the main locator I’d use on my boat! How much easier is it to read and know whats under your boat?
    As far as the pounding my fl-8 is 7-8 years old and works the same as new… and it’s been on alot of rough water.

Anyways if your like me I cant see spending more $$ for a indash or similar type of flasher if you already have a quality one. just buy a solid quick release mount. peace

AP
    MN

I run an fl-8 on the bow with minkota universal transducer. I do agree it is easier to use the flasher if you are familiar with the spot you are fishing. I also have the original fl-8 transducer mounted to the transom (for a back up) incase the locater on the dash fails. As far as durability in the summer, I’ve never had a vexilar fail or break.

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

I have the fl-8 with the universl mount, and I too put it on the trolling motor up front. I love it when your trying to troll a dropoff or break. I find it much easier to use. Its more real time.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I just put my vex on my bowmount trolling motor and I can’t wait to get it wet! I’ve been using the vex ice-fishing for about 8 years and am just now getting around to using it in the boat. I’m assuming it should work great.

dd

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

I run my FL-8 on the boat in the summertime via a high-speed transom mount transducer. I do this because I remove the bowmount frequently and get tired on screwing around with the transducer wire on the shaft of the motor. Although I don’t frequently fish from the front of the boat, I could do so and watch the Vexilar (or my Zercom graph for that matter) because I mounted the heads for both units on RAM mounts on the console. So they have 360 degrees of swivel. All you have to do is spin them around to face the front seat and you’re good to go.

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

I have an FL-18 Pro Pack for icefishing and couldn’t see the logic of having it collect dust on a shelf all summer. I installed the Vexilar summer kit on my trolling motor and a quick mount on the bow of my boat. This way I get to use and learn my Vexilar all year ’round. These units are very durable and are easy to see in bright sunlight. The bottom lock feature works awesome when the bow is bouncing up and down in the waves!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.