Minn Kota model differences? 70, 80 , 101?

• HenryPF

Ok take any maxxum (pro or not) from 55, 70, 80 it’s usually $10 per 1lb of thrust going by Jolly’s prices. Am I missing something that the 101 is only $70-80 more than the 80lb version? Other than the fact it’s 36v vs. 24v?

My deep v only weighs 1200 pounds loaded (gas, gear, etc.), so I am thinking 101lbs of thrust maybe a bit way too much. Thoughts?

Also any chance if I hit the pedal on a 101 set at max speed that my partner not paying attention going to lose their balance due to the boat jerking off?

I fish the soup alot, had a minn kota before, the wedge is great, but weeds still around the shaft. Not much of a problem, but would the 101 help me more here – not constantly pulling motor outta water and spinning the prop around with foot control at lightspeed to wing off the gunk?

Money is not a factor here, just the extra weight of a battery is minimal at best and I do not need the US in the max pro models I am looking at. One thing to keep in mind on the 24v vs. 36v thing is my last boat I had for 7 years the outboard had about 1/10th the hours my trolling motor had on it so trolling battery longevity comes into play.

I apologize for all the questions, but spending $800+ on a trolling motor is new to me!

stuart
    Mn.

Henry First off Welcome to the site!!I have the 65pd on my boat,18ft lund,I upgraded to a kipawaw prop and its a night and day differance in the perfomance as far as power and ability to slice through the weeds.But the bigger you go the lower the setting you would need to run = longer battery life. Stuart

Don Hanson

Going with more power is never a bad idea. In your case I would stay with the 24v models. The 80 would be plenty of power and for fishing slop the weedwedge prop should do a nice job. I have a 74lb Maxxum on my 182TS, it has given me all the power I need. In fact even with the infinity speed control, there are times that I wish it could slow it down more. If you have a tendency to give quick bursts at high speed I would recommend using circuit breakers insted of fuses.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

If you have the room for the batteries. I would go with the 101. I ran a Vantage 101 on my last boat. 36V will draw less amps than the 24 and 12v motors giving you more use on windy days.

HenryPF

Thanks everyone for their input. I decided to go with the 101 as I have tons of room for the 3 batteries and the cost from 80 to 110lbs is so tiny. Plus I can move the 3 batteries 1.5 feet to either side to offset the kicker motor (if I ever get one) weight.

As for battery choice I am going with AC Delco voyagers as I do not like maintenance batteries, and it has been too short of a time if someone unless someone can possbily justify agm batteries lasting over 6 years as I changed my other batteries out every 3 years last boat I owned as they were $69 cheapies from wal-mart/kmart/etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.