Traveling with rods?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

In a few weeks I will be heading south for some fishing. This is the first year for bring my own gear. What are some options for packing my fishing pole. It is just going to be one rod that breaks down into 5′ lengths. Figure that the reel can be packed into my luggage. If I carry on or pack it in a tube will it be considered extra luggage? Any ideas would be great.

3670wayne
    So. St. Paul

MIke W., I have done this and always had to regard it as another piece of luggage. I could not carry the tube on to the plane. It worked fine with no damage to my St. Croix’s. I have used other people’s rods while traveling, and that’s OK, but I like my own! Have fun down south!

frostbite
    South Metro

I travel once a year or so to California to go deep sea fishing. I use a pvc tube. Plumming supply places can get you a 4-6-8″ tube. You can get an end cap and a screw cap for the ends. I wrap each rod in a towel or 2. (I use some of my cheap fishing shirts, they get dirty and thrown away.) Be sure to pack the ends with towels or rags as well to prevent end damage. You can make a strap for carrying them to and from the airport. You can even use several smaller ones and connect them together. It still counts as one piece of luggage to the airlines. CALL THE AIRLINE YOU ARE GOING ON, THEY ALL HAVE DIFFERENT RULES. Length of the tube can be a factor. They don’t fit through the xray machine so be prepared to open it up to show security before they send it on to be loaded on the plane.
    Good Luck

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

I always make arrangements with the place I am staying and I ship the rods via Fed Ex or UPS with signature required. At the time I am sending I also purchase the return label back.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Mike, frostbite is right. Absolutely call ahead to determine luggage requirements for the specific airline. I also frequently travel with gear and rods can be tricky — too long and they can count as “oversized” luggage… and a rod tube will count as one of your checked pieces of baggage.

Plan ahead — I once had to frantically repack my gear, near the check in line, in order to conform with guidelines. Not fun.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.