Rod and Reel question

• Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Okay guys/girls I told myself that every year I was going to get myself a new rod and reel and it is about that time again. So I want some suggestions on a new spinning rod and reel. I was looking at the St. Croix rods and some of the G-loomis rods. Any suggestions would be nice. I want to get a very good quality rod for bass fishing preferably around $200 for both. Thanks

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Buzzbait, you certainly have excellent taste in equipment…If i were looking to spend $200 for a combo, I would probably go with the St. Croix Rod. Something like the PS66MHF model. It’s a 6’6 Medium Heavy Rod that is rated for 8-14 lb. line and 3/8-3/4 oz. lures. Its got a nice long handle and sells for around $90 dollars.

As for Reels, unless buying a matching St. Croix, I would recommend something like the Quantum Catalyst PTi(CT20PTi)You can read field results from http://tackletour.com/reviewquant10pti.html Which also sells for around $90 dollars.

@90 + @90 + tax = @$200.00

Just some personal and plugged thoughts…Good luck on your search

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Thanks Slop Bass that looks like a nice combo to me. I was already looking into that reel a little bit and it looks good. I already have a nice baitcasting setup and am looking to get myself a nice spinning setup that way I can let my guests use my other setups.I have been waiting a long time to get another nice setup so I just want to make sure I get something worth the money since I am a broke college student and don’t have a lot of it to go around. Also is there a big difference between the Avid series and the Premier series? Thanks again for the help.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Buzzbait the Avid is made from altogether different,(more expensive) components and a higher(SCIII)vs(SCII) grade of graphite in the rod material. The Premier has a 2 yr warrantee and the Avid has a lifetime warrantee.
    The Premiers are fine rods and are worth the money. The Avid is a pretty big step up AND more $$$. I truly think its worth it for my spinning rods where the sensitvity is also more acute in the Avid series. If you are chucking Spinnerbaits and Cranks where that is not a factor the Premier will probably be fine. Either way I will also give a to the baitcaster. I have two and they are great!

click on the link in my signature below. It will take you to the St. Croix website.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I would say go with a St. Croix rod for sure. I’m not much of a bass fisherman but I sure love both the Avids and Premiers for my walleye, smallmouth and panfishing rods. I use the Premiers for my baitcasting rods and both Avids and Premiers for my spinning rods. Gotta love them St. Croixs.
    Thanks, Bill

jldii

I would suggest that you give some hard thought as to what type of fishing you do the most. What I’m trying to say is, ask yourself, what specific style/application do I want this rod/reel combo for? Seldom is there a single rod/reel combo that will cover all the different applications. Each application is better suited by different length rods, and different style reels. Obviously, you would not use the same combo to pitch 1/8oz.tubes and also casting cranks!

Identify the specific application you use the most, or want to fill, and then try to narrow your choices down accordingly. St.Croix are excellent rods, as are G.Loomis, and Lamiglas, etc… in the end, it all comes down to personal preference, and there is no wrong answer when you decide for yourself which one “feels” right for you.

Good luck!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

You’ve been given some great info already but I’ll add to your indecision!

I like what JLDII said about really looking into the style of fishing you intend for this combo to do the most of. If you like the rod specs for your caster set up, you might want to mimic them as much as possible. That way there’s no issues in the way it’s handling the lures you’re tossing around.

I’d encourage finding a spinning reel that is casting friendly. One where the spool has an “easy off” design and the preferred gear ratio.

Also, while I’d encourage the purchase of a Croix product over any other, if money is truly a concern, there are other makers offering lifetime warranties as well but are a lower cost to the consumer. Shimanos, Galyans and Gander Mountain store brands, Berkley, and Fenwick all have lifetime warrantied products available. Again, if sensitivity isn’t the MOST important aspect, don’t discard shopping around a little. All the retailers I’ve mentioned have a good service name, either from my own experience or that of a close trusted friend.

If a “jack of all purposes” spinning reel needs to be recommended, it’s REALLY hard to overlook the Shimano Sedonas. Many a fishermen are happy campers because if this low cost, high endurance spinning reel.

With the right shopping, you can put something together of good quality, that is decently or properly warrantied, for about $125. Then use the other $75 in your budget to get a handful of duplicate “go to” lures. If you’re doing this with other people in mind, this is a nice thing to do! I love my dad to death but as a kid….. many a day weren’t any good for me because he never had 2 of the same in his tackle box…… and he was afraid I’d lose the one he had.

Good luck and certainly go with the most bang per buck!

jldii

Let me add this. Stillakid2 mentioned the Sedona reels by Shimano. They are very good reels. I own about a dozen of them, and have no complaints with them what so ever. Last year , I started to look into other reels as replacements for those same Sedona’s, and came across a very nice reel. It is the Mitchel Avocet Gold. I use them on my smallmouth rigs exclusively. Smooth, dependable 8 ball bearing drag system, which is modeled after the famous Mitchel 300 Series. Very nice reels. I understand that Mitchel will not be offering that name reel this year though. They will be marketing the Mitchel 302 in its stead. They are supposed to retail in the $40-45 range, and are a very good reel at that price point. Just something to consider while looking to get the most bang for your buck when its time to invest in the new set-up!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Let me add this. Stillakid2 mentioned the Sedona reels by Shimano. They are very good reels. I own about a dozen of them, and have no complaints with them what so ever. Last year , I started to look into other reels as replacements for those same Sedona’s, and came across a very nice reel. It is the Mitchel Avocet Gold. I use them on my smallmouth rigs exclusively. Smooth, dependable 8 ball bearing drag system, which is modeled after the famous Mitchel 300 Series. Very nice reels. I understand that Mitchel will not be offering that name reel this year though. They will be marketing the Mitchel 302 in its stead. They are supposed to retail in the $40-45 range, and are a very good reel at that price point. Just something to consider while looking to get the most bang for your buck when its time to invest in the new set-up!

I also run a few Avocett Gold reels and I would agree that they are a great reel at a very affordable price. Coupled with a Berkley Lightning Rod, makes a great set up for under a hundred bucks. As stated above, it depends on what/how you’ll be fishing.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Jack,the Avocet Gold series will be around in 2005,There are no plans as of now to stop making and selling it to the public.
    Ryan Hale

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

You might check Fleet Farm in Winona for a reel. FF in Rochester had a clearance on the Shimano Symetre 2000 for $50 – regularly $85. Cabela’s in Owatonna also had the same deal going 3 weeks ago. That’s a very nice reel for $50.

jldii

I thought they were going to be around too, but decided differently when I tried to look them up on their web site. I hope my presumption was wrong, and you are right about them being around because I would like to get about a dozen of them.

Another reel I tried last season that was a pretty good reel for not much money was the Abu Garcia 501. I tried a couple of them and was pleased with their performance. Who knows if they will be selling them again this year though. Seems lately that every year Abu has a new series of reels replacing the ones they offered the year before.

hof
    Rochester, MN

After reading the responses, thought I would mention Okuma reels. These have proved to be very reliable and very good price. The 7 ball bearng models start at only $34.99. Our most popular seller is the Trophy Pro models with 9 ball bearings for only $49.99. The reels are super smooth, have the tightest instant anti-reverse, and the drag systems are flawless. They are really worth a look before you decide what to buy.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Mr.Dunn,
    Here is the info your looking for.
    Avocet Gold Series reels.
    Right now you can get 3 models,the 500,2000,& 4000.Next year there will be a size 1 or 1000 series added to this line-up.In the 1000 series there will be 3 makes.A front drag,a rear drag,and a “fast cast” trigger model.
    Jack,if you ever have any questions about Purefishing products let me know as I do in store work,product samples,and guide work for them.
    Hope this helps.
    Ryan Hale

jldii

Thanks Ryan. Glad to hear they will still be around. I’m on the guide/captain program with them, so when I get my info packet in the spring, I’ll check out the new models. From what I gathered looking at the website, it looked to me like they might be marketing them as the 302. Glad they will be around because I’m planning on switching out about a dozen of my reels this spring.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

You can put the best reel on a broom stick and you are fishing with a broom stick. I just ordered 3 rods Custom made from St Croix Avid blanks. Just go through the St Croix on-line catalog and pick out the rod you want and contact Mike at HOF and he will shoot you a price you can live with. Put one of those 7 bearing reels on and you will have a super setup for way under $200.

JIM

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Hey Buzzbait.
    St Criox…great rods
    G-Loomis…great rods
    I have some Galyan’s brand IM8 rods(Currently $25, they are 50% off) that I like just as well if not better than the $100+ rods.
    To me a good rod is a good rod…spend the extra money on a solid reel. For green carp….I mean bass fishing you are probably going to be using a fairly stiff rod anyways.
    If you are worm riggin carp…I mean bass…you will want sometihng sensative enough to feel them hit it but if you are crankin or throwing spinners….go with the broom stick because if you can’t tell when they hit it you got more problems than a rod and reel can help you with.

Personally….I like the Shimano reels….I also like the Abu Garcia reels. I have some diawa bait casters….they make good bottom bouncer reels that is about it.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up getting a Pflueger President spinning reel and rod and I also got a St. Croix avid rod with a Quantum Catalyst PTi reel. Can’t wait to get out on the water this spring.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.