jennings bow

• annmarie
    Des Moines, IA

Just wondering if anyone out there uses a Jennings compound bow. I purchased a used one at a sale last week, a Jennings forked lightning xl, for $40 with a quiver and sights. Always hunted turkey, pheasant, etc with a shotgun but have never used a bow before and would appreciate any insingt that anyone could give me. It has a 31 inch draw and is set at a 60 lb draw. Think I might take it to Sheels and have them look at it and measure me. I think it should be pretty close to what I would use.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I highly recommend taking it into your local sporting goods store. Have them show you the basics of the bow. They should be able to help you choose the proper arrows etc… I shoot a jennings barracuda. It’s a rather small bow, I bought for spot and stalk hunting. It is much lighter than my old PSE fireflight. Good luck, practice a lot!!!!

buckmaster

You will be able to shortin’ the draw lenght, move poundage, ect… but if you aren’t familar with that kind of stuff I would take it to a sporting goods store as well. They are a nice bow though.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I would go to an ARCHERY shop if at all possible. Many sporting goods stores will NOT be familiar with that bow since it hasn’t been made for several years.
    It may not accomodate carbon arrows either as it may have a dacron string and wood limbs.

Jira

I’d highy recommend Compound Doctor on 35 and Country Rd E. Unlike other shops you may walk into these guys know their stuff and you don’t have to have 200 whitetail kills for them to give you the time of day. They don’t work on commission and will take their time to set you up right for your needs and budget — critical in my book.

Compound Doctor carried Jennings in the past and still carry Fred Bear product. My brother-in-law’s back-up bow, a 5-6 yt old Jennings Quazar snapped a limb last fall. They were able to get the replacement parts and put it back together for him without issue.

My 2 cents,

JJ

annmarie
    Des Moines, IA

thanks for the info guys. JJ like you said I went to an archery shop in Altoona off the interstate and told them I was new to the sport and just wanted to get some basic info and knowledge of my bow and they acted as if I didn’ exist. I then took it to Sheels in West Des Moines and spoke with their bow person who was very helpfull and had over 15 years of bow experience so all in all I guess the big retailer won out over the privitely owned shop this time. Too bad people don’t realize what good customer service can do for a business. Thanks for the help guys and I’m sure I will have more questions later

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.