Rod Holders

• nitch33
    Rochester, MN

I am wondering if there is a general rule as to where you should position rod holders on a boat. I have a Crestliner SportFish 1750, and just purchased 4 rod holders that I would like to install. My intention is to eventually add two more down the road. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I think the best set-up I’ve seen, was a set-up that put them all on a board that sat in a chair mount on the back of the boat so it could easily be taken off, all holder were screwed down to the board and spaced quite nicely. For me that would be about perfect, although I don’t troll a ton, and fish the river maybe 40% of the time. Right now I have two holder mounted up front in the bow area of my boat, and I just added a mounting right by the driver’s seat, so I can troll and have quick access to atleast one rod, the other is on the other side of the boat, works good for 2 rods, but I think once you go more, you need a board or something on back to space them out, plus I wouldn’t always want them one the back, so removability is a plus in my book. It would also put the rods high enough up to keep the butts of the rods from hittnig the floor or whatever. I bet using planer board would open some options up too.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I would climb in your boat and sit where you would be sitting AND where each person would be sitting when fishing to see where you want your rod holders mounted before mounting anything. ALSO put the rods that you will be using in the holders and hold them there to see how they would fit. Will it work in that location with a rod handle that is long [if your rod handles are long] or will your rod handle be sticking into your side? Checking things out first before installing can save you some ”why didn’t I think of that first” before its too late. Getting them installed just where you really want them to fit the way you fish will make and aid each fishing trip greatly each time out. I picked up my boat after my son Nate had it for about 5 months so between us we have 10 rod holders put on it and two handline holders and to get it just the way I really want it I would have to add a couple more so I know how important getting it right the first time is and that each persons way is a little different. Thanks, Bill

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Bill has a good point, that’s how I went about positioning my holders when I rigged my boat. Worst case scenerio……just mount another base in a different spot if you happen to install one in a posistion you don’t like after actually fishing with the set up

nubbinbuck

Bill,
    On a wide gunnel boat like a Pro V, do you generally mount them in the center or the outer edge.. or is it plainly user preference? Since I fish L. Mich with big rods, I was thinking of going to the outer edge, but don’t want to screw this up !! thanks.

Don Hanson

Another option you may want to consider is adding rails and attaching the rod holders to them. Saves on drilling holes in the boat and gives you the flexibility of moving the holders.

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

be careful when mounting rod holders on the outer edge you do not want to put your base out there two far other wise you will not be able to tip the rod holder up with out the but of your rod hitting the gunnel.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.