Lowrance 3300C-GPS Not Responding

• tmackenthun
    Webster, MN

I saw the posts on the LMS 480 GPS module not responding. I just purchased and installed a new 3300C. I have complete power to the unit (12 volts)and can run demos, move through menus etc., but on the status page get the message, “gps module not responding”. I previously had a 15MT combo unit and have just swapped out the antennas. This seems like a no-brainer in terms of installation. Any help before I take it out on Lowrance would be much appreciated-

Tmack

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

The wires to the antenna module may not be hooked up properly. You have a red that needs to go to 12vdc , black to ground and tape off the silver shield wire.
    The instructions are not very clear about this step.
    The 330C is a fantastic unit to fish with. I had a chance to use one for a day and even in bright sunlight the picture is perfect.
    Dino

kapnjim

Did you install it correctly? Is there power to the antenna? If all else fails take another look at the installation manuel. I have the same unit and it mentions in the book what could be wrong when you get the “not responding” message.

tmackenthun
    Webster, MN

Good information, you got me thinking and I confirmed with Lowrance that you need to bring the NMEA 2000 power supply (black/red/silver) to power as well to get power to the antenna. And as you mentioned, it is completely unclear in the manual. Lowrance has put an addendum out on the web. Thanks alot-saved me alot of blue language!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Terry,

Did that solve the problem then? I keep missing you on the phone and I know I’m sure hard to get ahold of…

Wade

mstaszew

This is a copy of a reply I made to the LMS-480 thread regarding the same error. Probably the same cause.

I too have the LMS-480 and think it is great. Like most of you here I too had the sonar locking issue and “GPS Module Not Responding” error. I’ll tell you from experience with the error that your unit is most likely FINE. Here is what Lowrance told me to do which worked twice. (I’ve never had to sent unit back). The receiver is on a separate power supply than the unit. The receiver, therefore, does not turn off when the unit is off. Sometimes the receiver needs rebooting. Unfortunately the engineers at Lowrance did not put a button or something on the receiver antennae to do this automatically so you have to remove the power wire for 3 minutes then reconnect it. It is the red wire labeled NMEA-2000 according to them. I located wire, pulled hair out trying to figure out how to unhook it and then get it hooked back up so a case of the smarts hit me and I just unhooked everything from the battery. This fixed it both times. Most likely that is all that you need to do. Other than this mild nuissance the unit is superb and I haven’t had any additional issues with it after patching the software. I am ready next time for the receiver error though. I bought a $4 toggle switch from Wal-Mart and mouted it under the dash for the reciever so rebooting it is now just a flip of a switch.

Good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.