Replacement props

• elonm
    Minnesota

I am now in the market to replace my OEM prop that came with my boat curtesy of a rock pile last weekend.

I would like to solicit some advice from the forum. I have an 04 Crestliner 1750SC FishHawk with an 04 115 Mercury OptiMax. The boat came with a 13.25X17P aluminum 3 blade prop. I could not go WOT with the boat planed out properly due to hitting the rev limiter on the engine.

I am thinking about moving to a 19P or even a 21P to get a bit better top end and to keep me out of the limiter. I am going to stick with aluminum for now.

What are some of you running on similar boats/motors? Anyone had any experience with the aftermarket props from Hustler, Solas, or Vortex?

Thanks for any advice, tips, or info you can share.

David

nick
    Lakeville, MN

ya know I came across a page teh other day that had some really good info for finding a prop, but I didn’t bookmark it… I’m pretty sure it was off iboats or something, I just googled something like props and found an awesome page. The again someone here may have a similar setup and be able to help you more.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

E,

I have the same boat, same HP, just a better brand (Yammy) . Sorry couldn’t resist.

I just went from a 17 pitch to a 19. I lost 300 RPM’s, but gained 4.5 mph. I’m very happy with the change. Oh, I also went up to stainless. If I were you, I would go up to the 19, but I’m certainly no expert.

elonm
    Minnesota

Thanks for the info Waterfowler. What speed are you getting out of your setup? With the 17p aluminum prop on my boat with 2 people and gear I am getting low 40’s (speedo…who knows what the true speed is).

I could definitely stand to lose 400 RPM or so and the extra 3-4 MPH would be nice as well.

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone.

David

kooty
    Keymaster

I was running in the 38-39 mph with two guys and the aluminum prop. With 4 adults in the boat, I was getting 37-38 mph, by myself, I got 44.5 mph, all speeds GPS. I still have a slight porpoise problem. If my livewell is full, not an issue when I’m by myself. I’ve run this prop for 10 minutes at WOT, so I’m still experimenting with the trim etc…

I’m satified for now. If I could find an 18 pitch to gain my rpm’s back, I would consider trying it. I could also experiment with the hole placement of the motor. Although I think 45 out that boat is pretty darn good, so I should just be happy, right. I don’t feel I lost much performance on the hole shot either.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I had a factory Suzuki tech come to Mille lacs to tweak my motor that wasnt running properly. He has been a tech for 35 years and races on the side. Since my issue was prop related, we talked about props for over an hour as we were crusing the lake. I was hesitant to go with a SS prop the first year and they arent cheap at all. But after learning that Alum props change thier form and sometimes to the point where they can change form permanently, I was convinced to get the SS now. He told me the most important part of your boat is the prop for performance and gas usage. Next was motor height and boat weight. I also learned that some props like the Hustler I was using can create an exhaust restriction with the hub assembly that I used with the Hustler. I was getting WOT GPS of 41mph with full load and 1-2 people with a 21 Hustler @4800rpm. I have a 150HP two stroke on a 1800 Lund Explorer. I had the motor raised an inch and got a Suzuki SS 14×20 that he suggested. It was night and day, I now get 55mph GPS with the same load @5400rpm and the motor runs like a top. I hated to part with $370 after putting in so much money already but it was money well spent..

nick
    Lakeville, MN

WOW that a huge difference derek, I always wonder if I could squeeze anymore out of my little 40.

nubbinbuck

I’m running a stock 19pitch AL prop on a 1800 Pro V w/ 150 Yamaha Vmax HPDI. Currently, I get 47 with 2 guys. 3/4 trimmed out, I am at 5600RPMS. I am toying with getting a spare 21 pitch Prop. Any input?

kooty
    Keymaster

What are the max RPM’s for that motor? The trick when setting up prop/motor is to get maximum RPM’s, don’t lose the hole shot, but get peak top end performance. I think most of the time you end up sacrificing one over the other. I don’t ski behind my boat, so the hole shot was an area I was willing to sacrifice at.

If you are at max recommended rpm’s right now, then going to a bigger prop will increase your top end slightly, but you will lose some hole shot. If you were to go stainless with the same pitch, you probably will see the greatest benefit, assuming you are at max RPM’s.

The hardest part is finding someone to let you try 2-3 different props, especially at $300-400 a piece. Good luck!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Halberg marine will let you trade Balistic brand stainless props as long as they aren’t nicked up.

They are cupped a little at the end of the blades. They don’t seem to break loose when you trim way up.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I would think that most good dealers will let you trade props til you get the right performance you want from the motor. Most of the time they get the right one when you pick up the rig, but each person has different needs. Jack.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.