Trailer jacks: wheel vs foot plate

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Don’t really see many jacks on boat trailers that have the foot plate on them instead of the traditional wheel. Why is that? I have a tandem axle trailer that’s not exactly easy to move around a garage or anything, and I’m considering going to a foot plate jack instead of a wheel. There are lots of times when my trailer rolls slightly when I don’t want it to. Thoughts?

I just replaced a few wheel jacks, noticed a few models with interchangeable plate and wheel. Or, you might want to look into a jack with some sort of wheel brake? I don’t know if I would want a plate on a boat trailer that I could move by hand; even if it wasn’t exactly easy to move, I’d want the option to move it a bit as needed.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Wheels roll – that is the benefit of having a wheel

Dog

Grouse_Dog

Or….Buy a fancier wheel with a lever brake.

That way you can set the wheel when you want it to stay and release the brake on the axle – when you want it to move.

I have seen them in a couple of smaller trailers. They must make them in larger jack wheels

Dog

Grouse_Dog

Here you go….

Seasense Trailer Jack 1500lb Mighty Wheel with Brake Galvanized #50017584

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks for the thoughts. The more I sit here and think about it….I never really need a wheel on my jack. More than half the time it rolls when I don’t want it to, and I don’t really have a place where I park it where it needs to roll with the jack. And in my garage, it doesn’t happen anyways. I’m slowly leaning towards just a foot.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

This seems more ecimonical than replacing the jack. Still gives you options if you do need to roll it.

Gander Mountain

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I forgot to mention: replacing the jack is mandatory this year. The old one is, uh, jacked up. It took a tumble last year, and it’s bent real good.

briansmude

You must have a back up camera in your vehicle because for me hooking up my boat without a wheel jack would be a nightmare.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

You must have a back up camera in your vehicle because for me hooking up my boat without a wheel jack would be a nightmare.

X2

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Depends on the boat. My bro-in-law has a Mastercraft ski boat on a tandem axle trailer, and even with the jack wheel, you’re not moving that sucker without 2-3 guys. It’s a nightmare either way!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

This seems more ecimonical than replacing the jack. Still gives you options if you do need to roll it.

Gander Mountain

THey don’t like a lot of weight FYI.

I use one for my boat.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I hear that. I can’t move my boat at all though, even with a wheel jack, when hooking it up. A real pain.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Back up cameras on the newer trucks are fantastic for hooking up trailers. Spot on 1st time just about every time. Still a little spendy to pay 35k for a back up camera.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Many after market cameras available. Less than $200.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

My biggest question, now, is the range of the foot plate jacks. Seems to me they don’t lift as high as the wheels? That a true statement?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.