What size wire for Terrova 80 I-pilot ?

• dellintel

I have been researching this online for several weeks now and have read so many different opinions on what size wire should be used from batteries to plug. I have read posts from electricians, marine tech installers, marine wholesalers, etc. and they all differ from 6 AWG to 8 AWG and to 10AWG. My 2012 Alumacraft boat is wired with 8 AWG and currently has a Powerdrive 55 12 v motor on it. The batteries are in front so the run is ~4-6 feet. I plan on installing new batteries, plug, and 60 amp circuit breaker myself but am still unsure if I need to pull heavier 6 AWG or if my 8AWG is sufficient. Here is the chart that came from Minn Kota’s service section in Q&A that recommends 8 AWG but the majority of stuff I have read supports 6 AWG. Any thoughts or advice?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

That chart was put out by engineers and OK’d by the legal staff at Minnkota. Truth be known 8ga braid is more than you “actually” need to run the system.

That said, when I installed my80# I needed new wire, I opted for 6ga fine braid simply because buying jumper cables only for the wire was cheeper than buying bulk wire. Go figure?

You will be fine with 8ga braid.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If I remember right the 80 is wired wired with 8 AWG wire ,so why would you need heavier than that to feed that ? I know bigger is better but unneeded,Make sure your existing wire is in “good shape, no rub wear.

I always make sure my 60 amp circuit breaker is a manual reset tho.A manual rest breaker gives all time to cool if tripped before reset. Mount it where you can easy reset it.

JMHO Jeff

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

For the price difference I opted for 6 gauge, the Terrova 80 pulls a lot of juice on high the 8 gauge that was in the boat would get plenty warm running it on high and trip the breaker. My run was only 6 1/2 feet. I found the wire at Fleet Farm it was pretty reasonable cannot remember the exact price.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

What’s on the unit is 8 gauge but when you have a split in the line (like a connection plug) your wiring needs to be larger than the 8 gauge on the unit. If you don’t you could lose up to 10% of your battery life to heat loss

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

What’s on the unit is 8 gauge but when you have a split in the line (like a connection plug) your wiring needs to be larger than the 8 gauge on the unit. If you don’t you could lose up to 10% of your battery life to heat loss

Sin is right on here! You need it run one size larger then what’s In the unit. Make sure it is tinned wire. 4-5′ won’t brake the bank. Order from eBay there’s plenty of deals.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.