open face reels

• Cole

Is there anybody that could give me advice on how to prevent my reel from looking like a birds nest. I recently bought a open face reel and I havent figured it out yet.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Depending on the reel, there should be a mechanism for tightening the spool. If you have the owners manual it would be in there. There should be a screw or a button to tighten it up so it does not release so quickly and easily. If you tighten it too much it will reduce your casting distance. You can also use your thumb to put light pressure on the spool as the lure is about to hit the water. The nest is created when the spool is spinning faster than the line releases, or because the spool continues to spin after the lure has hit the water. It’s also important that you have proper line on the reel, and that you match the line to the type of lure/presentation. Keep practicing on calm days and you’ll get ‘er down.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Wade….. are you talking about a baitcaster? My dad always calls spinning reels “open face” reels.

If a spinning reel is the issue, there’s 3 things.

1. Use a limp monofilament line (like Trilene XL) or a low diameter braid (like Fireline or Power Pro). Line memory has a lot to do with open face problems and can contribute to the issue.

2. Use a snap swivel to help reduce line twist from lure movement or fighting fish (blue gills love to spin circles).

3. When heading out towards your desired fishing spot, take a quick minute to let 50% or more of your spool out behind the boat, with nothing on the line. The water resistance against your line will straighten your twists out. Reel back in, motor to the hot spot, put on your lure of choice, catch the lunker of your dreams, take a picture, and put it up on the board here at IDA so we can celebrate with you!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Wade….. are you talking about a baitcaster? My dad always calls spinning reels “open face” reels.

Kid, yes I was referring to baitcaster reels. I didn’t think about spinning reels. Always call them “spinning reels”. Well, either way there’s some good tips up there now.

newt
    Pillager, MN

It’s easy to get a bird’s nest using a spinning reel when over filling your spool. If you open your bail and the line springs out at you then this is your problem.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

When spooling up your spinning reel have your line out of the package lying on the floor with the label face up,thread the line thru all of the eyes on your rod and down to your spool on your spinning reel, tie the line onto the spinning reel and close the bail my hand.With a wet wash cloth, hold onto the line just below the last eye on the rod and start reeling in at a medium pace. After about 20 cranks or so stop reeling and lower the rod tip towards the spool of line on the floor.The line should not have a lot of twist in it. If there is line twist around your rod tip then flip the spool of line on the floor over so that the label is face down, and continue reeling in line…

remember that like mentioned up above, if you have to much line on your spool, or if you have to heavy of line on your spool it will fly off the spool as soon as you open the bail..

Good Luck, lots of good info here !!

JustFishin
    Wabasha, MN

One thing you can do if you notice a loop or two or four hanging off the front of your spool is to open the bail, take the spool off, and pull the line off the spool towards the back. This way you remove the line that is overlayed on the loops without causing them to twist up, down, and around. You can sometimes salvage the line this way instead of continuing to pull from the front and making the nest that needs to be cut off.

rob69
    Okefenokee Swamp, S. Ga.

Adjust the spool tensioner on the right side of your baitcaster till your lure (weight doesn’t matter) will just barely fall from the rod tip in free spool. Imagine that your elbow is stapled to your torso, and cast with your forearm and wrist ONLY. Learn to lightly “thumb the spool” to slow the reel down as the lure hits the water. That is the basic info. NOW, practice, practice. You’ll get the hang of it. When casting in the yard, you’ll also get a big laugh when a neighbor asks if you are catching any….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.