Is a 50 horse motor to small?

• dkremer99
    Central City, IA

Wondering if any one could help? I found a new 2003 crestliner 1750 fishhawk with a 50 h.p. merc 2 stroker EFI. I was wondering if this motor would be enough for this boat?
    Thanks
    Dan Kremer

Don Hanson

Dan, that motor is a little small for the 1750. I would have to say you will not be happy with the performance. I would look for a motor upgrade, try to get within 75% of max hp rating. (I am assuming you are talking about a tiller)

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

no this is not a tiller. The max h.p. rating is 125. so would a 90 probably be the smallest I should go?

jhalfen

In a word, YES, a 50 is too small! I have that exact boat with a 115 Johnson 4-stroke, a motor that provides *plenty* of power. The fish hawk is a heavy boat (~ 1100 lbs empty) and you will be really underpowered with a 50 hp on the back. Just for comparison, my old boat was a Lund Explorer 1650 with a 50 HP Merc. That boat was much much lighter, and the top end was ~ 32 mph, ~ 28 with 2 guys, a full livewell and a full gas tank. On my C-liner/115 combo, top end is ~ 45 under identical conditions. Don is right, do whatever you can to upgrade the motor. The hull is rated to 125 hp I think; 90 hp seems to be the minimum, and as I mentioned, 115 is really nice.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

The 75% is the general rule of thumb but I’d go with the rating. 50 HP is way way way to small. If this is through a dealer I’d go shopping elsewhere. Either they don’t know squat about boat performance or thay are out to make a buck on a sucker.

I suspect they had an extra 50 laying around and hung it in the back of the model they had around. You can get any size motor you want. Any reputable dealer has connections to get another motor from another dealer. You don’t have to buy a boat that has the motor attached.

Often you’ll see boats with too small of motors on them as come-one’s in ads.

Remember the larger the engine the less RPM the engine needs to get on plan, travel speed and the less fuel it takes to operate. Used small engines are typically run at WOT for a greater percentage of their hours. They are run hard

You’ll never be able to re-sell that set-up you described.

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

thanks guys for the advice you have made my decision much easier. that must be why the boat was fairly cheap.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

50 is most definatly to small…I own a Lund 1675 Explore SS with a 50 hsp Merc and it is to small of a motor for it, so if you can , Max out the HSP for any boat you purchase..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No way! Not even close to being adequate. I’m running a 115 yammie 4 stroke this year on that same rig and it often approaches being a little short on power when heavily loaded. A 50 HP motor would be awful. I could not foresee a way you could be happy with that rig w/ that motor.

But that’s just my opinion of course.

Quote:

Wondering if any one could help? I found a new 2003 crestliner 1750 fishhawk with a 50 h.p. merc 2 stroker EFI. I was wondering if this motor would be enough for this boat?
    Thanks
    Dan Kremer

KirtH
    Lakeville

I would go wit a 115 min. you will be happier in the long run. And the resale will be much better.

James, I thought you where running a 182 Crestliner?

KLH

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I’ve got the same boat with a 90 2 stroke. It is adequate.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I sold that boat last fall after 3 years of dependable service.

Quote:

I would go wit a 115 min. you will be happier in the long run. And the resale will be much better.

James, I thought you where running a 182 Crestliner?

KLH

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

thanks alot guys for the input, you have reinforced my idea that it is too small. One of these days I’ll see you boys on the river with a new crestliner.

wisbass
    Eau Claire, Wi

Hey if that crestliner is priced right I have 2001 90hp Mercury for sale on the swap forum.I would even deliver the motor to you.

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

thanks for the post wisbass, but I think I’m going to keep looking for a different boat. When I was at the dealer he told me he couln’t seperate the boat and motor, so if I bought yours I would still have a 50 horse and no use for it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.