Polarized Sunglasses

• BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I am looking to upgrade on my polarized glasses. Right now I have the a pair of Strike Kings. They’re decent but obviously there are a lot better glasses out there. I have looked at some Costa’s and Oakleys but since I am of course shopping for them online and in a store its hard to tell which is better than another for looking into the water. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Also, I have prescription glasses so they must be able to put prescriptions in.

Thanks,
    Dustin Smith

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Dustin,

After my reason Lasik surgery which left with with glare problems , I have been on a 2 month search through every kind of polarized glasses known to man.

I have a pair now of Costas in Harpoon frames with the Vermillion lenses. This is the best color I have found for fishing. Sees in the water very well, is dark enough for full sun, but not overly dark like some grey shades. Seems easier on my eyes than most Amber shades. The Costa’s also have a nice tight wrap design that blocks side light, and does well at blocking wind while running. One of the most important things is finding a good fit in the frames.

I don’t know where you live, but Thorne Brother in the North suburbs of the Twin Cities has a great selection of Costas.

I actually liked the Oakley’s better, but they were 160 bucks, and just didn’t wrap enough for fishing. I may buy a pair for everyday wear though if I can get up the cash. The Oakleys were the “clearest” lenses to my eyes.

I have heard good things about the Solar Bats in mossback green, though I have never tried them. One thing I like about Costa’s is their lifetime warranty.

PM me if you want any more details, I have tons of info.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I have XX Oakleys and they are awesome. The polaraization is very good, and it keeps wind, bugs, etc., from getting in your eyes when you are running in the boat.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Never hear of the XX. I was looking at the half jacket XLJ, which were sweet.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Do you think Costa will replace the pair I had before they went screaming out the back end of the boat and into the river? I’ve never witnessed a worse case of polarized suicide.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

No, you are likely screwed, but I know a guy who crushed his in a car door and got a replacement for 20 bucks!

illinois

i got a pair of oakley flex hinge polorized ill sell for 25 bucks with the bag

i bought the solar bat moss back green cool eyes and love them light little light penetration and there not dark and get 0 eye strain on blue bird days

illinois

i take that back there oakley square wire 2.0 silver frams black polorized lenses but i cant find the bag but i do have the box and a neoprene case for them

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Do you have pics of them?

illinois

there in very good shape you can view them at oakleys website or i can take pics of them but hard to deciffer any problems with them in a pic

illinois

heres a pic

illinois

and another

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

has anyone looked at ray bans. I was thinking of getting a nice pair of them. they sem to fit my face better, but then again, I am using a $9.99 pair form wal mart. so anyting would be considered an upgrade.

shane

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I love my Oceanwaves. I use the Bandannas fishing. They have straps instead of ear pieces. I like this as most glasses give me headaches. The also wrap around and block out almost all extra light. Glass lenses and available in prescription. Oh, and Blue, you can turn around and look back and they won’t blow off!

Oceanwaves

yoda840
    Western North Carolina

My bolle’s are more comfortable, that is a frame issue, but I think the lense quality may be a bit better with the costa’s …. …. for non fishing, especially on hazy/overcast/cloudy days, the serengetti driving glasses in amber/gold/copper (don’t remember which they call it)with photochromatic lense are my favorite.
    Barry

ndevr
    Plainview, NE

Dusty,
    I might be interested in your Oakleys if no one else has spoken for them already. Shoot me a PM if there still for sale.

Thanks,
    Steve

bassthumb
    Madison, WI

Has anybody used a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses? Just wondering if someone could compare them to Costas or not.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I have Costa Del Mars, Triple Tails, the wrap around type with blue mirrors that sit close to the face. They have very little distortion on the sides. No light gets in from the sides.

Run down to Cabelas in Owattona and try them all on. That is how I settled on what I have.

gutcheck2000

I went with the Solar Bats and can say that I have not been disappointed. To me the most important thing besides the view is the wrap fit. I hate light creeping from the sides.

illinois

the oakleys are sold thanks

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I forgot my cheapies on day 4 at Devils Lake and Mark Courts who is sponsored by Maui Jim let me use a pair of MJ142s, they were incredibly comfortable. It was overcast but once my eyes adjusted for the lower light wearing shaded with no sun I was really impressed as to how much better I could see than with my cheap ones. I am going to get a pair…just haven’t gotten to Galyans yet to buy them.
    John

bassguy
    MANKATO

I USE FISH EYES (GANDER MOUNTAIN $9.99 A PAIR). I DON’T LOOK QUITE AS COOL, BUT THE COLOR OF THE LENSES REALLY BRIGHTEN THINGS UP ON DARKER DAYS, AND I CAN SEE REALLY WELL IN THE WATER ESPECIALLY MUSKIE FISHING

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.