best hand held gps

• Arnold Helgerson
    blaine, MN

looking at purchasing a new gps for hunting. what is the best one for good reception in the woods?

briansmude

You can’t beat a smart phone. There are a lot free apps and some pay apps like navionics that are awsome. Satilite photo overview is the best feature you could ever use on a gps. And I think all smartphones now have turn by turn navagation, not to mention everything else you can do with them. I haven’t even turned on my handheld since I got a smartphone.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

You can’t beat a smart phone. There are a lot free apps and some pay apps like navionics that are awsome. Satilite photo overview is the best feature you could ever use on a gps. And I think all smartphones now have turn by turn navagation, not to mention everything else you can do with them. I haven’t even turned on my handheld since I got a smartphone.

Can you recommend a good gps app with downloadable maps? No way I could get data some places I hunt.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 62stc and have been really happy with it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

You can’t beat a smart phone.

That is only if you get reception

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I believe that garmin makes the best gps. I’d look at their lineup.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I still love my H2O but they are obsolete. I don’t know about their new lineup. I know everyone loves Garmin and its a product you can trust.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I still love my H2O but they are obsolete. I don’t know about their new lineup. I know everyone loves Garmin and its a product you can trust.

Same here….it will be a sad day when mine dies.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

Can you recommend a good gps app with downloadable maps? No way I could get data some places I hunt.

I have the lakemaster and its ok. you can layer the google earth maps over it as well. its $20 tho.

The cabelas hunting one is nice too, but the problem is that your paying a monthly fee to use the premo version.

Otherwise, a good standby is the regular google maps app that comes natively on the android phones.

Remember to turn your gps radio on. If you are in an area with bad service, i’d shut off the mobile wireless and wifi radios to save your battery, plus you dont need them unless you are looking for new driving directions anyways.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

me too

acafisherman19

I just got the eTrex 10 from Garmin recently, works fine out on the water marking spots and you can find them again pretty well. It is a little non-user friendly at times, but it works for what I need it for.

For out in the woods, you might need one of the more expensive Garmins because mine has some trouble getting signals at time. Maybe look at the eTrex 20 and see how that works.

Hope this helps,

acafisherman19

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.