Rain suit

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Now that Gamehide Typhoonwear is no longer in production…
    I am looking for a good uninsulated/ light insulated set of rainwear that will come in 3XL…jacket/bibs preferred…
    What do you guys like?…

mike-west
    Amery, WI

my $.02
    Cabelas Guide Wear.
    I love mine! They are un insulated.

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have Cabelas Dry Plus Tourney Trail Parka and bibs. They work great. You can get them in regular and tall, and also up to 3x. I have used them in Cananda for the opener when it was 27 degrees out and with some thermals and a sweatshirts I was nice and warm. I have also used them in the spring/summer and fall here in Wisconsin and have been dry and comfortable. One of the best investments I have made for fishing.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

I bought Frogg Toggs Toad Skin on sale last year before my Canada trip. My biker friends recommended them. They were in a carry pouch and light weight. It rained 3 out of the 7 days and I was dry and warm. I have found myself using them most of the time now. I stash them in the boat.

levibruce
    Verndale, mn

Frogg togs by far the best I wore

stevenoak

I love my Storm Suit jacket, but passed on the bibs. Didn’t like the front zipper. Perfer the full opening for getting in and out,plus ventalation when it warms up. Old enough I don’t need 100 mph waterproof zipper Think I will go with Cabelas bibs.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Tom
    You owe it to yourself to check out the Frabill FXE Storm Suit. A lot of thought went into this suit I am very happy. Yes they are more expensive then others but I have ZERO regrets. I have an open inexpensive boat and figured it was in my best interest to protect myself from the elements and LOVE it. You kinda look forward to rain knowing you have it.
    Bob

Purchased mine from Joe’s in St. Paul I know Thorn bros carries them too.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Guidewear!! I have been wearing the same guidewear rain jacket and bibs for about 10 years. I actually liked the uninsulated bibs so well I bought a pair of insulated ones too. I wear the heck out of the jacket and both sets of bibs. I use them for rain, wind, spray from running in big waves, ice fishing etc etc. The jacket is red and black but the shoulders are so faded from wearing it on chilly sunny days open water and ice fishing that they are almost pink now.
    Still keeps me dry.
    Other than the fading and the velcro needing to be resewn on one of the cuffs it functions exactly like it did the day I bought it.

I would assume the new stuff is as good as the stuff from 10 years ago and if the day comes I need new outer wear, I am going straight to Cabelas and getting new Guidewear.

There is other good stuff out there but with as hard as I have used my jacket and bibs I struggle to believe there is anything AS good.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Guidewear for sure. Just Zip the zippers and fasten the velcro before washing or the velcro will eat the lining! Found out out the hard way earlier this winter!

reddog

I wear Guidewear also(insulated bibs and jacket) . We were looking at some cold weather gear for my wife at Cabelas over Christmas and looking at the Guidewear bibs.. I noticed a new piece of fabric at the bottom of the front zipper,(crotch area) and couldnt figure out how a guy would pee with the added patch of fabric there.. Trust me, as someone who fishes exclusively in the winter time, taking a piddle with all those clothes on underneath, and all the velcro hazards between the jacket and the bibs, you will want to allow a little lead time getting things out..

The new patch, should cetainly make it more interesting.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Cabelas Guidewear. You never get wet.

scott-k
    Red Wing

Cabelas guidewear here too. I have both insulated and non insulated sets.

They are coming out with new stuff Extreme guidewear, I think.

I am very hard on mine and Cabelas has stood by any issues and replaced bibs for me at no cost with no hassles.

That is worth it to me as well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I want to say Guidewear but its hard to find rain gear that isnt very good these days. Any name brand that is breathable seems to work great. That being said unless its warm out I’m wearing my Guidewear. If warm I have a set of Cabelas ultra light packable Goretex.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Quote:

I wear Guidewear also(insulated bibs and jacket) . We were looking at some cold weather gear for my wife at Cabelas over Christmas and looking at the Guidewear bibs.. I noticed a new piece of fabric at the bottom of the front zipper,(crotch area) and couldnt figure out how a guy would pee with the added patch of fabric there.. Trust me, as someone who fishes exclusively in the winter time, taking a piddle with all those clothes on underneath, and all the velcro hazards between the jacket and the bibs, you will want to allow a little lead time getting things out..

The new patch, should cetainly make it more interesting.

Yes difficult indeed- bought new pair this fall with that extra fabric. Also sucks having to unzip jacket to zip DOWN -not up- to go! Not well thought out but keeps me dry none the less.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.