Bottom Bouncer Combo Recommendations?

• gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Thinking of adding a St. Croix Eyecon 7′ Bounce & Troll with a Shimano Corvalus 400 to my arsenal for pulling bottom bouncers.

I would be using it for 1 – 3 oz bottom bouncers while pulling spinners or slow death rigs.

What do you think of this combo and/or what would you recommend?

Thanks

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I would suggest a reel with the flippin switch as it saves so much time and effort when adjusting depths 300 times a day. Juat press the lever down and release when you get to where you want to be. I converted all my bottom bouncing reels to ones with flippin switches and love em!

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

What reels are you using Grant?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Oh boy that is a great question as far as what specific model. I havent used em since early june so cant picture the name on them. I know they are abu garcia. Its tough to find a reel under 100 bucks with the flipping switch but I found these for 50 or 60 bucks. Not too bad at all. Ill look for ya when i get home!

dave53
    Altoona, WI

I’ve got a couple Abu Garcia Black Max reels with flipping switches and love them for the reasons listed above. So easy to adjust line. I had a guest in the boat and let him use those rods and I used a Pflueger Trion which doesn’t have a flipping switch and kept forgetting and backlashing the line. It really is a convenient feature. They run about $50 apiece. I have heard that they have a model without the flipping switch, so I would check to make sure it has it before you leave the store.

Dave

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Give Dean a call over at the SBC/AGHQ. The guy knows rod and reel combos like you wouldn’t believe

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

the black max or silver max with flippin switch are good. another one to look at is the diawa megaforce with twitchen switch. then you can reel in line with one hand to take up slack. only 6 to 8 inches every twitch. Im trying my first now and so far so good. its nice out in south dakota where u can fish 2 rods. u dont have to put one rod down to take up slack.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Black max…thats it. yeah that is a good reel!

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Thanks, I just may have to try one of the Abu’s.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

IMO stay away from the St. Croix Eyecon. I have the bounce and troll model and the tip is too soft for anything more then an oz and a half. I think you’d be better off with a premier or even a Triumph in 7′ med hvy FAST action. If you were dead set on the Eyecon and we lived closer I’d sell you my one weekend used one for the price of a Triumph.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Another rod I’d check out is the Fenwick HMG. I’m a Croix guy but these are made with Fuji Alconite guides. A little better components then the low end Croix’s.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I really like the Quantum “Accurist” reels with the flipping switch. Nice quality/good price. As far as rods go, I like store brand 6’6″ or longer medium heavy. You don’t need fantastic sensitivity with these rods IMHO.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.