12-14′ trolling rods

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Who makes a good 12-14′ trolling rod specifically for lead core? Does anyone use these longer rods. Just thought when trolling 3 or more these longer rods would eliminate having to use planer boards on lead core, when running a shorty on the inside?

thoughts?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I see Reeds has buy one get one free on there 14′ rods. I think ther were $129 for the pair.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

DH Custom rods has a few new 12′ rods that I saw a couple weeks ago. They look nice and have the right action for leadcore. Scheel’s long leadcore rods look nice as well, but I’ve never tried them.

I picked up a pair of 14′ Jason Mitchell series rods last week. Reeds had a buy one get one sale on them and I got two rods for $130 out the door.

Haven’t had an opportunity to use them just yet, but i’m leaving for Lake Winnebago tomorrow for 5 days and plan to put quite a few hours in with these rods pulling both boards and lead.

I’ll let you know what I think of them.

Tony K
    Barnes Wi

jason mitchels i love them. they work great.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Tony K has the 14′ Jason Mitchells and I have to say I’ve been pretty impressed with them.

grainbelteyes
    Waconia

Jason Mitchell, Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Limit Creek all offer 12-14 foot rods. I run a pair of 12 foot Cabelas (2 piece) rods. about $100 each. great action for leadcore and superlines (I don’t run any mono shock leaders on my fireline reels as these rods can absorb the shock). The long rods can take some getting used to for fighting fish, handling, etc. but work well for spreading lines. I also run a pair of 9.5 foot Gary Roach Leadcore specific rods. These are great for pulling leadcore, very sensitive yet enough backbone for big fish. I have not had an issue running them with 5 foot shorties as far as tangles go…

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Just a thought, “Would ‘surf fishing’ rods work”?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Thanks for the input fellas…I guess I get to go shopping now.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Who makes a good 12-14′ trolling rod specifically for lead core? Does anyone use these longer rods. Just thought when trolling 3 or more these longer rods would eliminate having to use planer boards on lead core, when running a shorty on the inside?

thoughts?

Cal

I just picked up 2 – 10’6″ and 2 – 12′ Eyecons from Dean for this purpose. I’ll test them out later in the week and let you know how they work.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Quote:

Just a thought, “Would ‘surf fishing’ rods work”?

Not a lot of them. Handle is too long.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

I use Limit Creek LCT120MHF2. 12′ for trolling leadline and I crush walleyes with them. You can have over 180 feet of lead out and feel the vibration from a little #5 shad rap! Loads well on strike in holder.

Keep catchin’
    Turk

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

my josh mitchell 14’ers arrived today.

i must admit having a rod where the BUTT section is as long as most of my WHOLE rod is a little weird, but…

general quality is fine. the wrapping is clean, the guides are glued correctly, the cork is of nice quality and the reel seat is of sufficient strength.

the only point i didn’t like is one of contention: i like two footed guides thru out an entire rod; these were mixed. the butt section was two footed, but the tip was nearly all one footed. I just bend them up and break them off so quick, i just prefer two footed. others contend that two footed guides stiffen the action and don’t like them.

anyway it was not something that you’d argue about for $65…

the 5’ers were baseball bats: nicely spec’d and well made. The foregrip was a double taper, but we can correct that on our grip sander. All two footed guides, one piece. Same reel seat.

Presuming all works out, i’ll be running at least the 14’er against the 12′ Eyecon tomorrow on the Croix. More after that.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I used the search function and decided to bump this post forward x8 years. I primarily fish Pool 4 and want a better spread for leadcore. I currently have two telescoping Cabela’s 9′ rods but things can get tangled still with an inexperienced guest, fighting a fish, etc running shorties inside. I’m in a 17′ boat and want to be able to run x4 rods at a time with fewer issues and a wider spread. I’m a little gunshy on wasting the $$$ at $130 or so a piece on a 14′ rod that I’m thinking could be tough to handle and land fish with.

Do any of you run real long rods 12’+ for this application? If so, are there any specific brands/models you’d recommend? It looks like Scheels offers a 12′ and 14′ model…but I’d rather here some user reviews before pulling the trigger.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I run 9’6” rods out each side and 2 6’6” rods up in the air straight out the back over the gunnels. Tangles do happen but it’s rare.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run 9’6” rods out each side and 2 6’6” rods up in the air straight out the back over the gunnels. Tangles do happen but it’s rare.

I’m not a big fan of running rods up in the air. I just feel that I personally can read the rods better for fouled lures, bottom contact and type, etc when the rods are horizontal and at a 90 degree angle to the boat (or close). Just a personal preference thing I guess.

My biggest questions relate to landing/netting fish, swapping lures, etc with a 12′ or 14′ rod AND if feasible, what rods are out there.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Ever thought of using regular rods on an outrigger?

sktrwx2200

Scheels 14’ers out the sides and 2 scheels or St.croix 5′ shorty rods off the corners. Works great. Maximum spread without fiddling with boards. Can make turns with out tangling up. Also I usually run smaller lures on the inside rods and larger on the outside. To see the action better and to make sure that I dont have 127 ft of line out on all four rods. Too easy to have big time tangle when they are all the same.

When a decent fish hits the 14′ rods there is alot of torque there. pretty entertaining to watch kids, wives try to bring em in.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Scheels 14’ers out the sides and 2 scheels or St.croix 5′ shorty rods off the corners. Works great. Maximum spread without fiddling with boards. Can make turns with out tangling up. Also I usually run smaller lures on the inside rods and larger on the outside. To see the action better and to make sure that I dont have 127 ft of line out on all four rods. Too easy to have big time tangle when they are all the same.

When a decent fish hits the 14′ rods there is alot of torque there. pretty entertaining to watch kids, wives try to bring em in.

Awesome! I was hoping to hear that the long rods worked decent for this application. I like making turns and adjustments constantly to what my graphs are telling me on the bottom (seems to up my success), and having 4 lines out with a good spread is crucial to this. I’ll report back this Spring with my results and reviews.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.