Crestliner floor replacement project

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thought I would share a few pics of a project I just completed on my TS182 Crestliner boat. The rear casting deck was falling apart, and it was time for it to be replaced. My biggest complaint was the lack of support under the floor as it really sagged with age. Plus, my rear baitwell cracked out and broke, so it was removed, not to be replaced. So the plan was to take the floor out, cut a new one, fill in the spot where the baitwell was, and add support.

The first pic is the new floor being carpeted. Everything goes better with a couple tall boys.

The next couple of pics show the under side of the floor and getting it ready.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

The next two pics show some of the support I added. I had some L channel that would add some support when the floor has weight on it. I added these new cross members where the baitwell used to be, and under the battery door. Another was added near one side of the livewell, as it suspends from the floor. The problem is, no place for supports between the livewell and splashwell. So, I found a main support under the area, and drilled a small hole in it. I then put a nail in a 2×6 and sheared the head off so it would sit in the hole, so it won’t move around. I cut the 2×6 so that it would rest right under the floor. I then strapped it to the splashwell so it wouldn’t move (not shown). I also went crazy with the livewell and beefed up how it hangs from the floor now. I also had two extra hoses from the baitwell that were no longer in use. I plugged the drain, and it won’t be used. But I did take the water inlet from the baitwell and installed it in the livewell. Now, the livewell fills up twice as fast, works real well. The next pic shows the finished project. You can tell we’re no professionals, but it doesn’t look too bad. After 11 hours of fishing today, it seems it’ll be solid and ready to provide years of stability. Hopefully the colors will match as time passes, but they’re pretty close and acceptable for now. Now I have practice for doing the front casting deck sometime in the future. The new floor already paid off tonight, as you can see from my buddy Augy.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I can relate to your project. I have a 1991 1775 Crestliner Viking. Several years ago the floor broke next to the baitwell. Too many years of water splashing out in that area.

I took out all the flooring, replaced all the fuel lines and hoses to live and bait wells, added an extra storage in floor. I then cut all new flooring sealed it with four coats of sealer, recarpeted and installed. Major project but turned out nice.

You did a great job on yours and nice fish.

washburn
    Aitkin Mn

Looks nice, I redid my carpet a few years ago with a little thicker marine carpet and wow did that make a lot more work. Nothing fit right so I had to trim but sure feels good knowing how much money I saved!

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

I have the same boat. My transom started cracking, so it went back to the factory. They added support etc. First outing in the spring, I fill up the tank and head out. An hour on the water and I notice my bilge pump kick on. Half hour later, it is on again. Now I am wondering where the hole is. The next time the bilge is on, I head for the back of the boat and smell gas. The bilge is pumping gas! Now I am worried about a spark before I get back to the dock. Tearing the floor up, I find they did not connect the aux fuel line an when it fell down to floor level, it started siphoning. That is how I improved my back deck support.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks guys!

Wow Samp, that sounds awful. I was thinking about replacing some lines and things, but decided they looked ok, and I would probably only be getting myself deeper into things I don’t know about. I have an area that’s open now on the port side from where the baitwell was, but I moved the floor over to that side just a smidge more and it looks….ok, I guess. Would still like to make it look better somehow. But now it makes a nice little storage area for bug juice, sun lotion, and a bag of plastics.
    Sure is nice knowing now that when you step back there to net a fish, you won’t be goin anywhere.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.